cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was the EF-M 22mm f/2.0 too good to get ported to RF?

Uneternal
Contributor

One of the most popular lenses on EF-M was the Canon 22mm f/2. Ideal street photography focal length of equivalently 35mm on full frame plus a fast aperture. All together in a small form factor and nowadays relatively cheap $200 price tag. There were rumors that it was gonna get ported to RF, but it never happened. Was it too good to get ported over?

Or does Canon just not care a lot for their APS-C lineup? It certainly seems like that because anything that got ported from EOS M is somehow crippled. The 15-45mm kit became a slower 18-45mm with less wide angle. Instead of the mentioned 22mm we got a 28mm f/2.8, also less wide angle and slower.

Canon, if you read this, please start porting popular lenses over without crippling them, just so they're cheaper for you to produce. The customer wants better lenses, not worse ones for the same price! Your most popular EF-M primes were mentioned 22mm f/2 and the 32mm f/1.4 - chop chop. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who wants these on RF. Huge missed opportunity.

10 REPLIES 10

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I understand you're frustrated, but I don't see the point of your title and I doubt if this forum is a platform to give that kind of feedback.

There are excellent RF lenses out there but they are going to be more expensive, being designed for FF.  There are rumors that some more up-market RF-S lenses may come from Canon, but in the meantime the best lenses for APS-C actually seem to be coming from Sigma, and they are good lenses. - having proved their value with other brands. 
The 18-50 f/2.8 is a good optic and on the market, and they are offering some great prime lenses according to their own publications - this under an agreement with Canon.  One forthcoming unit will be a 23mm f/1.4 prime, which is even faster, but will be bulkier.
SIGMA Canon RF Mount lenses | Contents | SIGMA Corporation (sigma-global.com)

So, if Canon are concentrating on their RF glass, it seems they are happy to let 3rd parties fill in the gaps, at least for the time being.

If you like the EF-M 22 f/2 prime (I did and had one), then I would continue to use it on an M-series body.  I still have and use a couple of them myself, along with 3 EF-M lenses.  If they worked before, they suddenly haven't stopped working just because the R-series is out there.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

You doubt that Canon's own forum, that probably many Canon representatives visit, is not the right platform to post critique? Well I guess we have to agree to disagree here.

Canon is a company who wants to make money with new bodies and lenses. It is certainly not in their interest if you buy a used older model and lens, just because there's no alternative. And an RF 22mm f/2 would certainly benefit from the improved AF system on EOS R cameras. Also it wouldn't make sense to buy another body just for 1 lens.

There are also no physical limits to make this lens. The RF diameter is larger than EF-M and just has 20mm flange distance instead of 18mm. If TTArtisan can make a 23mm lens on Leica L (same flange distance as Canon RF) for just $100, I'm pretty sure Canon won't have any difficulties.

@Uneternal wrote:

You doubt that Canon's own forum, that probably many Canon representatives visit, is not the right platform to post critique? Well I guess we have to agree to disagree here.

Canon is a company who wants to make money with new bodies and lenses. It is certainly not in their interest if you buy a used older model and lens, just because there's no alternative. And an RF 22mm f/2 would certainly benefit from the improved AF system on EOS R cameras. Also it wouldn't make sense to buy another body just for 1 lens.

There are also no physical limits to make this lens. The RF diameter is larger than EF-M and just has 20mm flange distance instead of 18mm. If TTArtisan can make a 23mm lens on Leica L (same flange distance as Canon RF) for just $100, I'm pretty sure Canon won't have any difficulties.

This is a user supported forum for folks to try and help other Canon users with problems.

You can provide feedback to Canon via the Canon USA website:

Screenshot 2024-09-09 090321.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Did you just decide that? 🤣

Maybe go back and look at the headline of these forums. It literally says DISCUSSION and help. Just because most users seek help here, doesn't mean it's just meant for that. And also certainly not up to you to decide and gatekeep.

What we are all trying to do is point you to a place where a constructive request on your part will reach the right contacts.

You are drawing a long bow when you say this forum is visited by many Canon reps. I would challenge you to substantaiate that. The site you have been offered is the official means for feedback and requests.

The suggestion that the EF-M 22 is "too good" for the R platform is accusatory, assumptive, and illogical.

I will now express my opinion, since you laud the validity of doing so. This thread is just venting, and says more about you than Canon. Don't expect much supportive response with an attitude like that.

End of my involvement in this thread.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

You don't need to respond if you got nothing else to say other than acting like you're the boss here. Scroll on if you rather wanna answer tech questions. BYE.

Just stepping in here to remind everybody that we do not tolerate personal attacks, before this continues to escalate. The "feedback" option on the website is a great place to give feedback since it gets sent directly to Canon USA, so it might be worth submitting there! 

Ron888
Contributor

It's an odd choice huh.
From diagrams the RF-S 18-150mm seems to be a direct copy of the M version,so perhaps it a sensor thing? With RF/RFS lenses there's lots of talk about getting a straight light path at the periphery.Maybe it's that or something else where they felt the 22mm wouldnt work well with R sensors

I think that Canon make a new lens aimed at the same focal range - there are issues with the physics that apparently make the EF-M lenses unable to be simply ported across.  Given that the 18-150mm is an extremely popular kit lens, it makes sense for them to duplicate it as a matter of priority.   

I would not be surprised to see a 22 or 23mm FFL lens in the future, but they are pushing out a lot of optics right now (on a critical path, they are actually ahead of Sony at this stage in their cycle back in the day), and that despite all sorts of logistics issues plaguing the world right now.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements