cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was the EF-M 22mm f/2.0 too good to get ported to RF?

Uneternal
Contributor

One of the most popular lenses on EF-M was the Canon 22mm f/2. Ideal street photography focal length of equivalently 35mm on full frame plus a fast aperture. All together in a small form factor and nowadays relatively cheap $200 price tag. There were rumors that it was gonna get ported to RF, but it never happened. Was it too good to get ported over?

Or does Canon just not care a lot for their APS-C lineup? It certainly seems like that because anything that got ported from EOS M is somehow crippled. The 15-45mm kit became a slower 18-45mm with less wide angle. Instead of the mentioned 22mm we got a 28mm f/2.8, also less wide angle and slower.

Canon, if you read this, please start porting popular lenses over without crippling them, just so they're cheaper for you to produce. The customer wants better lenses, not worse ones for the same price! Your most popular EF-M primes were mentioned 22mm f/2 and the 32mm f/1.4 - chop chop. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who wants these on RF. Huge missed opportunity.

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I understand you're frustrated, but I don't see the point of your title and I doubt if this forum is a platform to give that kind of feedback.

There are excellent RF lenses out there but they are going to be more expensive, being designed for FF.  There are rumors that some more up-market RF-S lenses may come from Canon, but in the meantime the best lenses for APS-C actually seem to be coming from Sigma, and they are good lenses. - having proved their value with other brands. 
The 18-50 f/2.8 is a good optic and on the market, and they are offering some great prime lenses according to their own publications - this under an agreement with Canon.  One forthcoming unit will be a 23mm f/1.4 prime, which is even faster, but will be bulkier.
SIGMA Canon RF Mount lenses | Contents | SIGMA Corporation (sigma-global.com)

So, if Canon are concentrating on their RF glass, it seems they are happy to let 3rd parties fill in the gaps, at least for the time being.

If you like the EF-M 22 f/2 prime (I did and had one), then I would continue to use it on an M-series body.  I still have and use a couple of them myself, along with 3 EF-M lenses.  If they worked before, they suddenly haven't stopped working just because the R-series is out there.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Ron888
Apprentice

It's an odd choice huh.
From diagrams the RF-S 18-150mm seems to be a direct copy of the M version,so perhaps it a sensor thing? With RF/RFS lenses there's lots of talk about getting a straight light path at the periphery.Maybe it's that or something else where they felt the 22mm wouldnt work well with R sensors

Announcements