cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Upgrades for the EOS R6 Mark II

Teacherbytes
Apprentice

I recently bought an R6 Mark II, trading in an EOS 80D with the EF-S 18-135 mm kit lens and an EF-S 10-18 mm. Now, the lenses I currently have are the RF 24-105 mm F4-7.1 STM (kit lens), EF 70-300 mm F4-5.6 USM II, and the EF 50 mm F1.8. I would like to get at least one or two RF L lenses. What would be the best way to upgrade to better RF lenses for landscape, travel, street, and walking around? 

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Are considering keeping your EF 70-300 and EF-50mm lenses or would you sell those to fund the RF glass?

Without a budget figure it is hard to make sure we sit within your financial comfort zone, but I do have some suggestions.

Super wide angle the RF 14-35L f/4, compact, light, brilliant optic and it takes a conventional 77mm filter thread, which is rather unique for such a wide angle.  See some sample images here:
Broadening My Horizons - Canon Community
Making Light of the Big Commute Home! - Canon Community
Since you have an existing RF 24-105 f/4-7.1 you could retain it for that range.
For the third choice, you could then go for the RF 100-400 f/5.6-8 IS USM.  While the f/stop may seem high at the long end, the significantly better performance of the sensor allows for a lot more ISO flexibility.

Thus, in three lenses for a relatively modest investment, you would have a range from 14-400mm to replace your 10-18, 18-135 and 70-300.

One other possibility for a walk around lens is the rather excellent RF 24-250 IS USM.  I got it as a stopgap while I was waiting for availability of my RF 24-105 f/4L, but I actually use it more.   It is rather the ultimate travel and walk-around lens.  There is a series of sample images I have posted in the Share Your Images section:
Moody Morning the the R6 & RF 24-240 - Canon Community
Trying out the RF 24-240 on Wildlife with the R5 - Page 2 - Canon Community
Diwali in Auckland, NZ - Canon Community

IF you were prepared to invest in a seriously more expensive option:
RF 14-35 f/4 L
RF 24-105 f/4 L (replacing the current RF 24-105)
RF 100-500 f/4.5-7.1 L
These are all pro-grade lenses but that combination will come at a price...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hey Trevor, have you ever used the RF 14-35L f/4 on any night sky photography?  I hear a lot of good things about that lens, but I'm hesitant because of the F/4 which generally will not gather enough light under very dark skies - for example on a 10 second exposure of the Milky Way or Northern Lights.  

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

Gidday Garry! 🙂
I honestly don't do a lot of nigh sky photography, so it would be inappropriate for me to comment from an astronomical photographer's point of view.   I have seen some comments on this site (you may be able to do a search), and definitely on the web.

Living in Auckland, NZ's largest city is not too good for astronomy in general and by the time evening comes around these days I am too exhausted to stay up late to venture out to clear skies.   Sorry, but best to be honest.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Whether to keep the EF 50mm and EF 70-300 mm depends on whether RF equivalents would be worth upgrading. I used both lenses with R6 Mark II with an adapter, and the photos came out well. If RF lenses, especially L ones, are close in quality to the EF lenses, then I will stay put. I have considered the 24-70 and 70 to 200 L lenses or swapping the 24-105 F4-7.1 for the 24-105 F4 L and then trade the 70-300 for the 70-200 F4 L. Decisions, decisions.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You already have the 24-105mm zoom it is going to hard do better for a GP lens.  I would take the advice above an consider sells those lenses. Your next purchase should probably be a longer FL lens or a very much shorter FL lens. No points duplicating what you already have. Check out the 100-400mm for example.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements