cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Light of the Big Commute Home!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Right now, we are approaching the shortest day of the year, so I took my photography group downtown to shoot some light trails from a pedestrian overbridge that overlooks one of the main commuter routes out of the city. The tall tower is called Sky Tower and is, at time of writing, the tallest tower in the Southern Hemisphere at 328m (1,076ft.)

We have been blessed with about a week of absolutely sunny, still and definitely chilly days, and four of us turned up to enjoy a gorgeous evening.

Tripod mount, using a remote cable trigger on a MeFoto RoadTrip tripod and the Canon EOS R6 MkII.

EOS R5, Rf 14-35L@ 35mm, f/20, 15sec, ISO-100EOS R5, Rf 14-35L@ 35mm, f/20, 15sec, ISO-100

22mm, f/18, 15sec, ISO-10022mm, f/18, 15sec, ISO-100

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Trevor,

These photos are so much fun.  I remember the days with my AE-1 and "bulb"  I haven't done any night time photography like this for decades.  You even got a bicycle 😀 Wonderful images!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi RIck and thanks for your comments.  Funny you should mention the bicycle.  Someone commented that the light trail is quite wobbly, and that was because the cyclist was avoiding people walking along the cycle path looking to get between the cars to cross the road! 🙂

Yes, I am having fun with this super wide angle zoom.  I have habitually been a long telephoto lens user because of my wildlife, but getting the 14-35 has allowed me to broaden my horizons in more ways than one!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Unique photos. I need to try those, too. Had to ponder the shortest day but I recall that you are in the Southern Hemisphere. G'day!

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Thanks John:
Yep, being down under means I am often late to discussion (or early, depending!) and my environment is totally out of sync with your realities!

cheers, TREVOR

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I looked closer and found the bicycle. Sort of a wavy line on the right side of the photo. Maybe too much Foster's?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Ha! Actually, the cyclist was weaving to avoid pedestrians who were (incorrectly) crossing and walking along the cycle path, trying to find a gap in the traffic to cross.  A cyclist's life is not a happy one...

cheers, TREVOR

click here to view the gallery
Announcements