cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadening My Horizons

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

My traditional happy place is shooting wildlife with telephoto lenses, although I have shot landscapes and some interiors with lenses down to the EF 17-40L, it's been a rare occurrence.  Recently I decided to expand my efforts and take advantage of the new RF 14-35mm f/4 L lens, and yesterday went to explore MOTAT.

Auckland's Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT) is a great place to find historical buildings, reconstructions, documents and memorabilia from Auckland's past. It's not just a static site either, and there are enthusiasts who go there to run trams, operate machines and all manner of things. Included in this is a working smithy and I came across a youthful blacksmith busy with the creation of converting a steel billet into a specialized hammer.

While he is an arts student at Auckland University, he really enjoys the skills and techniques involved in turning raw metal into objects of practical use and artistic value. He has been volunteering there since he was a boy and now that his mentor has retired, he has taken on the role to keep the smithy and the skill going. We talked for over half an hour as he worked away, so I had to record the moment.

The space was very confined, so I was very glad to have the flexibility of the lens to let me include some of the environment to give the image context. I am always careful with wide angle shots to try to get the verticals vertical and make the image look as normal as possible, considering our brains make the corrections for us when we look.

Canon EOS R6 II • Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM @23mm • 1/200 • f/4 • ISO 5000Canon EOS R6 II • Canon RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM @23mm • 1/200 • f/4 • ISO 5000

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
1 REPLY 1

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Good to see the past kept alive. Makes us appreciate the modern conveniences that we have now.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
click here to view the gallery
Announcements