cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knothole Bird Feeder

Christhephotog
Enthusiast

Black-headed Grosbeak at a knothole bird feeder. In winter time I always search through our fire wood pile looking for pieces with knotholes in them to use as bird feeders. _36A5125knothole-setupweb.jpg_36A5081blackheadedgrosbeakweb.jpg I screwed a flat board to the back of one of them and clamped it up next to where the bird feeder had been moments before. I filled the knothole with black sunflower seed and waited. My camera position was on our bedroom window sill with a ground pod to support my camera. It is about seven feet from the feeder and is hidden behind photo hide/blind. The photoblind is basically a large piece of press board made to fit the window with a hole cut for my camera lens to poke through. Behind the perch I hung a piece of fabric on a background support. This image was created with a Canon EOS R6MKII with a Canon EF 100-400mm lens@ 210mm. The settings were AV mode, ISO 12,800, F 16.0 at 1/160 th of a sec.Mendocino County Northern California,USA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adamsc
Contributor

I would recommend this thread to anyone interested in photography or bird watching. It is an excellent resource for learning about photography and getting feedback on your work.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Creative setup. You can also make a feeder with any piece of a log and drill with a spade bit.

To all: my wife and I subscribed to Birds & Blooms, a magazine dedicated to birds and flora for the home and yard. Some of the photos are breathtaking. It gives tips on food, cover, plants, etc. for birds. We have taken hummingbirds under wing (pun intended) as they are fascinating creatures. We have several HB feeders around the  house and yard.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Christhephotog
Enthusiast

If you are interested in more set ups please check out my book ,Secrets of Backyard bird Photography , from your local library. Has great ratings!Has great ratings!

adamsc
Contributor

I would recommend this thread to anyone interested in photography or bird watching. It is an excellent resource for learning about photography and getting feedback on your work.

Announcements