cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was the EF-M 22mm f/2.0 too good to get ported to RF?

Uneternal
Contributor

One of the most popular lenses on EF-M was the Canon 22mm f/2. Ideal street photography focal length of equivalently 35mm on full frame plus a fast aperture. All together in a small form factor and nowadays relatively cheap $200 price tag. There were rumors that it was gonna get ported to RF, but it never happened. Was it too good to get ported over?

Or does Canon just not care a lot for their APS-C lineup? It certainly seems like that because anything that got ported from EOS M is somehow crippled. The 15-45mm kit became a slower 18-45mm with less wide angle. Instead of the mentioned 22mm we got a 28mm f/2.8, also less wide angle and slower.

Canon, if you read this, please start porting popular lenses over without crippling them, just so they're cheaper for you to produce. The customer wants better lenses, not worse ones for the same price! Your most popular EF-M primes were mentioned 22mm f/2 and the 32mm f/1.4 - chop chop. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who wants these on RF. Huge missed opportunity.

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"If you like the EF-M 22 f/2 prime ... then I would continue to use it on an M-series body."

Absolutely. It is a s good today as it ever was. Keep using and enjoying it

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements