cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tokina EF Lens Compatibility with EOS R6 Mark II

stcapp1426
Contributor

I am planning to buy this camera but would like to know if it's compatible with the Tokina atx-i 100mm f/2.8 FF Macro Lens for Canon EF that I already own. I know some non-Canon EF lenses won't work with the new mirrorless cameras. Does anyone know about this particular lens? Overall, I like the lens - it suits my hobbyist needs. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you plan to use other Canon EF lenses, then just buy the Canon mount adapter and try it. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Nope, that is correct. We of course, don't know why Canon did that, but it might be due to the SA or that fact that the focus distance is already 10" at 1:1.4.

As a hobbiest, I still have a lot to learn, and magnification is one of them! 

Just optics and a little mechanics.

Since any lens has an "angle of view" - which is a function of focal length and sensor size. If you imagine a cone stretching out from the lens, it is pretty easy to calculate the magnification at any point along the axis of the cone.

The trick is, higher magnifications are closer to the lens, so you have to be able to focus close to the lens to get high magnifications. This is what macro lenses do.

Thank you. Still trying to wrap my head around it! 

@stcapp1426 wrote:

What I don't understand is why the RF macro is 1:1.4 instead of 1:1 like its EF counterpart. Or am I reading something wrong in the specs?

You have that backwards. The RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM macro has 1.4x magnification, 1.4:1. And as of this posting, it's on sale at the Canon U.S.A. store, and probably other authorized Canon dealers. I have had it for quite a while and it is quite good. I also have the EF version.

From the Canon website.

RF 100mm macro - 1.4:1 magnificationRF 100mm macro - 1.4:1 magnification

Newton

OK I thought it was the reverse but again, I'm not experienced in this area.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There are a couple gems in the Tokina lens line up but not many. In my experience, unless Tokina has changed in the past few years CS is nonexistent if you ever need it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I bought it because I didn't want to spend a lot and it had good reviews. I figured it was good enough for someone who had never done macro before. I will try it, since I have to buy the adapter anyway and if it doesn't work, I'll get the Canon lens. Thanks for your reply.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Everything from a technical perspective was covered previously.  👍

Adding to Newton's post above.

Canon RF 100mm, (today) new $999

Canon Refurb (today) $899 

Shop Canon Refurbished RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc

I did the above a few months ago ($799).  Above is still a great deal.  Black Friday is coming, but things can sell out fast as the holidays approach.  I've learned over the years that holding out for another $50-$100 that may or may not happen is not worth missing a deal.  Refurb items can go in and out of stock quickly. I hope the Tokina works out, but if not this is a great time of year to treat yourself.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

LOL! I paid full price two and a half years ago, and I had the EF version. Just couldn't wait, heh heh 😉

Newton

click here to view the gallery
Announcements