cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100M Macro focus ring functionality in AF

sueze
Contributor

I am using the RF 100mm macro on my R5. I have struggled with finding focus with it. I sent it in a month ago for Canon to look at it and they told me it is fine. I was told when shooting AF the focus ring does not work. That I need to switch to MF, find the focus I want and then switch to AF. What a pain!! I lot of the time doing that, the lens will then lose focus. I mainly shoot flower/nature with my macro. I am lucky if the AF finds any focus! Is it true the focus ring does not work when using AF? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NOT all RF lenses support MF override when in AF mode. The RF 100mm F/2.8L Macro IS USM lens doesn't support it per Canon. List of compatible lenses 

Compatible lens list for [Electronic full-time MF] are shown below. As of March 2021
RF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (Firmware Ver 1.1.0 or later)
RF100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM (Firmware Ver 1.0.9 or later)
EF400mm f/2.8L IS III USM (Firmware Ver 1.1.2 or later)
EF600mm f/4L IS III USM (Firmware Ver 1.1.2 or later)
-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

The camera by default ignores the focus when in AF Mode. The camera needs to be set to allow the focus ring to be used in AF mode. The setting in the camera is called Lens Electronic Manual Focus. This is set to DISABLE by default so set it to enable and make sure the camera is set to One Shot. If its set to Servo AF the focus ring is ignored by the camera. You would be fighting the lens' AF motor this has been a restriction since the first EOS film SLR the EOS 650 in 1987. The EF 300mm F/2.8L USM lens released in 1987 was the first lens to use a Ring Type USM AF motor. All USM lenses at that time used an electronic focus ring. Later a clutch used under the focus ring was used to keep costs down.

UG-04_s0650.png

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

sueze
Contributor

That is how I have it set ... 

NOT all RF lenses support MF override when in AF mode. The RF 100mm F/2.8L Macro IS USM lens doesn't support it per Canon. List of compatible lenses 

Compatible lens list for [Electronic full-time MF] are shown below. As of March 2021
RF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (Firmware Ver 1.1.0 or later)
RF100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM (Firmware Ver 1.0.9 or later)
EF400mm f/2.8L IS III USM (Firmware Ver 1.1.2 or later)
EF600mm f/4L IS III USM (Firmware Ver 1.1.2 or later)
-Demetrius

@deebatman316 wrote:

The RF 100mm F/2.8L Macro IS USM lens doesn't support it per Canon.

Demetrius, Canon may have updated that in f/w, but I don't know when or even if they did. I've been using it [RF 100mm f/2.8L macro] with my R's for at least three years and MFO has always been available. I just verified that MFO works with this lens on my R5, R6, and R6 II just in case my memory had lapsed, LOL!

Newton

There are many reports of MFO override not working on the R5. But it works on the R6. Which seems odd that it works on one but not the other. Has this lens had a firmware update at all.

-Demetrius

@deebatman316 wrote:

There are many reports of MFO override not working on the R5. But it works on the R6. Which seems odd that it works on one but not the other. Has this lens had a firmware update at all.

No, I haven't updated f/w on the RF 100mm f/2.8L. But I can confirm that MFO has worked on this lens and the R5 since I've had it. Also, the EF version w/adapter, fwiw. You do have to press the shutter like you are using AF so maybe that is where the confusion is coming from?

Newton

Yep probably. Most Ring Type USM lenses use a clutch under the focus ring. To provide MFO mechanically instead of electrically. All early Ring Type USM lenses implemented MFO electrically instead of mechanically. Also not every lens that says USM supports it. Micro Motor USM lenses don't support MFO. Only the EF 50mm F/1.4 USM lens does. It is the only Micro Motor USM that does. An easy way to identify a lens with Micro Motor USM. The focus ring spins while the AF motor is in use. Also the lens lacks a focus distance scale on it. Except for the EF 50mm F/1.4 USM lens. It uses a clutch under the focus ring to provide MFO. Note Nano USM lenses lack a focus distance scale. But these lenses DO NOT spin the focus ring. This is because it's electronic and NOT connected to the focusing elements.

-Demetrius

Thank you! I have not seen that list before. 

What firmware version are your camera and lens on. 

-Demetrius

Announcements