cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 w/ RF24-70 f2.8 has IBIS wobble @ 24mm?

kwanfs
Contributor

Hello,

I have read that the rf15-35mm has ibis wobble when zoomed out. I don't have that lens, but I got the RF24-70 and it seems it also suffers from ibis wobble at 24mm. Is this normal?

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What am I supposed to be looking at in the video?  It looks and sounds like several seconds of handheld video, which was shot on a fairly windy night.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sorry forgot to mention that part. Have a look at the buildings on the far left.

I saw that.  It is a handheld shot.  I do not see anything that strikes me as unusual.  If you have Digital IS turned on, then the image may get cropped slightly.

While true that some stabilization systems crop the image, that's not what is being shown in the video.  The buildings on the left-hand-side indeed have a wobble (jell-o) effect going on.   A shaky hand-held shot no doubt causes it's own set of issues, but this is an additional problem above and beyond.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes, I don't have Digital IS turned on, just Lens IS + IBIS. Apparently, after doing some research the wobble is caused by IBIS. And it seems the majority of people who reported are using RF15-35 trying to shoot wide-angle below 20mm. I'm just trying see if my gear has problem or it's working as expected.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I don't have any equipment with IBIS (the EOS C70 uses either lens IS and/or digital stabilization), so don't have first-hand experience.  I can state though that for the specific equipment itself, I'm not a fan of any non-optical solution.  I do like the different rigs you can get which seem to offer much better (and sometimes superior) stabilization solutions.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It is shot in the dark, using a wide angle lens, possibly without any specific part of the image for a stable AF lock.  Just what exactly should the IBIS be locked onto?  As near as I can tell, nothing.  The OP reports this only happens at the wide end of the lens, 24mm.  It s working normally, IMHO.

This is interesting. I don't see this mentioned anywhere; but for IBIS to work it needs AF lock? How would you do that?

It's a visual catastrophe. This is an extreme example, but my RF 24-105 does this all the way up to 35mm...it seems to be that the 5-axis combined stabilization causes this issue due to the ibis being essentially too strong. AF lock has absolutely nothing to do with IBIS, so darkness shouldn't matter. IBIS uses accelerometer and Gyroscope data. Electronic IS sometimes uses the frame to analyze, but IBIS generally does not. I have had this phenomenon occur in bright conditions, even on a gimbal, so the darkness/walking might be an extreme example, but the phenomenon is a rampant problem with the IBIS that we can't disable at this time. 

Announcements