cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quandary Over Canon Kit Purchase

ScottS
Enthusiast

OK.

So I've been saving $$$ for a December purchase of a Canon 6D from B&H. I've been planning all along to go with the kit:

Canon 6D Camera

Canon 24-105mm F/4L IS USM

I know that many lenses are sharper, but the versatility of this seemed like a good deal at the $2099.00 price point on B&H.

Here's my quandary. The new Canon 24-105mm f/4L II IS USM has come out, and reports are that it is a much better lens. I've e-mailed and called B&H about which lens will be included in the future kit with the 6D.

And I've learned that it is the old lens, the 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM.

I'm extremely disappointed that they are not including the updated, new lens.

I guess I'm looking for feedback on the old, or places that sell the new as a kit with the 6D. What I have decided at this time is to go NEW, and to try to stay at the $2K price tag. I know that I can buy them separately, but that gets into the $2500 range.

Thoughts? I know that I can just get the 6D body for $1499, but I'll need some lens, and then my price point is still around $2K. Is that old lens worth going for? 

Thanks for your wisdom!

ScottS

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I purchased my 6D at a substantially discounted price, compared to retailers, from Canon's Online Refurbished Store.  It came with a one year warranty, and has worked flawlessly. 

I also purchased their EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM lens, too, during a sale at 40% off the list price.  I am quite satisfied with the lens, too.  It is said that the new lens will be better, though.  Although I am curious about the new lens, I am not about to replace my old one.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the info, Waddizzle! I always appreciate your input :)!

i, too, have purchased two lenses from Canon Refurbished, and they are flawless:

The Canon 70-200 f/4L IS USM

and

Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS USM

I may just go that route with the camera, too :)!

@Waddizzle wrote:

I purchased my 6D at a substantially discounted price, compared to retailers, from Canon's Online Refurbished Store.  It came with a one year warranty, and has worked flawlessly. 

I also purchased their EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM lens, too, during a sale at 40% off the list price.  I am quite satisfied with the lens, too.  It is said that the new lens will be better, though.  Although I am curious about the new lens, I am not about to replace my old one.

I agree. I've owned the "old" 24-105 for several years and am very happy with it. I use it as the primary walkaround lens on my 5D Mk III. Its sharpness has not been an issue for me, and I'm pretty picky. The new lens will be physically longer (therefore a tighter fit in some bags), heavier, and considerably more expensive. If I wanted a new lens, I'd probably add the 24-70mm F/2.8L II (which I regard as primarily an indoor event lens, not a walker), rather than replace my 24-105.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I agree. I've owned the "old" 24-105 for several years and am very happy with it. I use it as the primary walkaround lens on my 5D Mk III. Its sharpness has not been an issue for me, and I'm pretty picky. The new lens will be physically longer (therefore a tighter fit in some bags), heavier, and considerably more expensive. If I wanted a new lens, I'd probably add the 24-70mm F/2.8L II (which I regard as primarily an indoor event lens, not a walker), rather than replace my 24-105.

I couldn't agree more.  I don't see myself replacing an excellent f/4 lens with another f/4 lens, most especially when the original isn't broken.  The increased cost for the new version seems to be around 10%, which  is great. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your input, Robert! Always appreciate your insights as well! You're reminding me that that original might be just fine for my needs :)!!

I've only seen one review of the new lens but if it makes you feel better the review did not consider the new lens to be dramatically better. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Good to hear, Scotty P!

Thanks for sharing that :)!

Scott S

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Scott,

"... the versatility of this seemed like a good deal at the $2099.00 price point on B&H.

Here's my quandary. The new Canon 24-105mm f/4L II IS USM has come out, and reports are that it is a much better lens. I've e-mailed and called B&H about which lens will be included in the future kit with the 6D. "...I've learned that it is the old lens, the 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM."

The question you might ask is, "Is there a kit that includes to 'new' lens?"  The new version is more expensive than the old one so I imagine the package will be more dollars. So, B&H is not likely to offer it at $2099.

As to IQ of the old version, I used them for years.  I sold 1000's of prints.  Not one person said, if only you had used xxx lens instead of the 24-105mm !  It is a fine lens.  It has been the best buy in a Canon L lens.  From the lenses you claim to have the 24-105mil will be a fine addition.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks, Ernie!

I appreciate your sharing the thousands of prints input. Clearly it's worked great for you!

I do feel better about that lens from yours, ScottyP, Waddizzle, and Robert's sharing.

Thanks again!

ScottS

Announcements