cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portrait Lens for FF coming from APS-C

xzebra
Contributor

I recently purchased a FF 6D mk ii and am looking for a good high quality portrait lens for use. 

Coming from a crop sensor I would like something similar to my 50mm 1.4 lens which would be closest to an 85mm on a FF.

I have take so many great photos with the 50mm, truly has been my go to.  I am leaning towards the 85mm 1.8 due to its price point, however I would like to get some feedback to those that may have used it or used other lenes you may suggest.

3 REPLIES 3

diverhank
Authority

The 85mm f/1.8 is a great lens for the price.  It has some chromatic aberration issue but can be easily fixed in post.  You can get it from the Canon website for $299. It's the best $300 you will ever spend.

Example: 5DS-R, 85mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8; 1/800; ISO 125

20180528_Copenhagen

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Great shot Hank! Smiley Happy

IMHO, after five decades of professional photography work, I have come the conclusion the only portrait lens to have is the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens.  Always value a lens by looking at it entire package not a single spec. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens will be far more versatile and do the best portraits you have ever seen.  Believe me, I have had them all and this lens covers them all.  Plus you can actually use it else where. Something not possible for a single purpose 85mil prime.

For your new 6D Mk II you need two lenses. They will cover 90% of all your photographic needs and they are the best lenses made bar none. Check out the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens along with its little brother the  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens. You'll be glad you did.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Great shot Hank! Smiley Happy

IMHO, after five decades of professional photography work, I have come the conclusion the only portrait lens to have is the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens.  Always value a lens by looking at it entire package not a single spec. The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens will be far more versatile and do the best portraits you have ever seen.  Believe me, I have had them all and this lens covers them all.  Plus you can actually use it else where. Something not possible for a single purpose 85mil prime.

For your new 6D Mk II you need two lenses. They will cover 90% of all your photographic needs and they are the best lenses made bar none. Check out the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens along with its little brother the  EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens. You'll be glad you did.

I would agree with Ernie.  The 70-200mm has a very good range of focal lengths for portrait photography.  

However, it might be a little long for casual photographers shooting indoors, or in low light situations.  The f/2.8 versions are the best, but there is an f/4 version of the Canon 70-200mm lens that lists for around $700, if not less.  The top of the line 70-200mm model that Ernie cited is the lens that every Canon professional covets.  The 24-70mm lens that he cited is another coveted lens.

But, you are talking about almost two thousand dollars cost for each of those lenses.  If you do not have third party image file processing software, then I advise sticking exclusively with Canon lenses.  There is nothing really wrong with the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lens.  For the price, it is a good workhorse lens to use until you can step up into the world of Canon “L” lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements