cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasonable lens for a new Canon R8

mmbrombe
Contributor

Greetings,

I am a happy new owner of a new Canon R8. I am coming from the Fuji system, still becoming acquainted with Canon’s operation and features. My favorite lens with the APSC system was Sigma’s wonderful 18-50 f2.8 zoom. I am looking for a reasonably priced alternative for Canon and came across the (EF mount) Tamron AF 28-75mm XR Di LD Aspherical IF lens.

I am wondering if anybody has used this lens with the EF-RF adapter on an R-series Canon camera and how this has worked out, I.e. autofocus, overall performance, etc.

I only shoot stills and this would be an “everyday” walk around lens when I’d rather not swap my 35mm and 50mm primes.

Thanks!

Marcelo

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please provide a budget, we are happy to make recommendations based on your criteria.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Since this is a new camera and are unsure of the compatibility of this lens. I would rent the lens with along with the EF-RF Mount adapter. To see if the lens performs as expected. Before buying the lens and finding out that it's not compatible with your camera.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" My favorite lens with the APSC system was Sigma’s ... 18-50 f2.8 zoom."

There is no good reason to waste money renting a lens, you have a lens already you can try. I would buy, not rent, the adapter as it expands the lens inventory available to you by a huge amount. If the Siggy works the Tamron will very surely work as well. So far there are no native off brand RF lenses. My second thought is you bought a brand new R series camera so stick with R series lenses for best results. You don't have to be concerned whether or if they will work properly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The 3rd Party Sigma lens referenced in the opening post uses Fuji's X Mount. I have found mechanical adapters and don't provide communication to the camera body.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Have you checked out the new Canon RF 24-50mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens? Just might be what you are looking for. And a much better choice over adapting a Sigma or Tamron.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I believe he is considering the Tamron.  @Marcelo.  A new camera and "old" lens is not something I would recommend.  The lens (Tamron 28-75mm) you are referring to was released in 2003.  It will not be up to the task, may not work well or at all with your R8.  The best lens for your Camera will be a new full frame RF mount lens intended for mirrorless.  

If you are going to adapt a 3rd party lens, I suggest you try with something newer.  At least one manufactured after 2009.  In the end however, I believe you will get the best performance and be most satisfied with a modern Canon lens.  This is the best "mate" for your new body.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Buy a Canon RF mount lens.  What lenses are included in R8 camera kits?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Generally, I would not recommend adapting an old 3rd party lens to the R-series bodies.  If you have issues it is unlikely you will get solutions from either Canon or Sigma, given the age.  I am curious what is more important to you - the focal range or the f/2.8 aperture.  If you can be flexible on the aperture, there are some excellent RF lenses you can use that offer IBIS and OIS, and super fast focus - almost certainly streets ahead of the lens you refer to.  Did you get a kit lens with the body - I would assume so, in which case it would be helpful to know what it is and what you hope to improve over its performance.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

mmbrombe
Contributor

Thanks everybody for your feedback, this was very helpful. I currently have the 35mm and 50mm RF primes which serve me well. I will stick with those until Canon (or hopefully Sigma or Tamron) come out with an affordable f2.8 short zoom (still keeping the primes, though). I can see where adapting a 2003 lens will lead to frustration. Thanks again for all your valuable insights.

Announcements