cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to confirm whether a Canon lens is a USA Model?

cohenfive
Contributor

I am considering buying an ef lens from a buddy of mine. He lost the receipt and warranty paper that came with the lens. The lens can be registered on the canon usa site so I'm thinking it is a usa model. I called canon support and they could not help me even with the serial number in hand. Is there a way to confirm it is a usa model, or does it not really matter at this point since I am not first owner. Lens was purchased 10 months ago. Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Since strictly speaking warranty is not transferable it doesn't matter.

In practice, from what I have seen others report, Canon is quite reasonable relative to warranty issues.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thanks, that's what I've heard as well. It's an expensive purchase (600mm iii) so even though the price is very fair, I am trying to check all the boxes. I know I'm taking on the warranty risk, just want as much info on the lens as possible. Amazing to me that canon cannot tell by serial number whether it is a usa model. I have been able to register the lens on the canon site so there is that...probably all I would need in case something went wrong, same position as the original owner would be in come April when the US warranty expires.

@cohenfive wrote:

Thanks, that's what I've heard as well. It's an expensive purchase (600mm iii) so even though the price is very fair, I am trying to check all the boxes. I know I'm taking on the warranty risk, just want as much info on the lens as possible. Amazing to me that canon cannot tell by serial number whether it is a usa model. I have been able to register the lens on the canon site so there is that...probably all I would need in case something went wrong, same position as the original owner would be in come April when the US warranty expires.

If the lens were [not] produced for the US market, I do not think you would have been able to register the warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've registered the lens, have not registered any warranty (which since I'm not first owner would not be valid anyway). Thanks

nells250
Apprentice

A while ago, I purchased a used digital camera (not a Canon) and had issues with video format, drivers, etc because it turned out to be a non-US market camera.  No matter what I did, I couldn't get info on the specific model.

I don't want to go through that again in the future. I recently asked an Ebay seller if a used camera they had listed was US-spec, and he got all defensive and insulting.  

If there's a used Canon I am interested in, and they show the serial number, model #, etc on the bottom label, is there any way to confirm it is a US market camera without actually trying to register it on the Canon website?

I believe the third and fourth digits in the serial number will be 20 for US models. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If it is a used lens and it is over one year old why do you care? Registering it with Canon will get you nothing. Whether you have Canon service it or whether Canon can even service it or you use a private shop, you will suffer the cost. Either way it is on you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I recently asked an Ebay seller if a used camera they had listed was US-spec, and he got all defensive and insulting."

I would not do business with such an individual and you should report him to eBay. They will take action.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

If I was buying online (rarely) and was refused to answer a question, I wouldn't buy.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements