cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 7D Mk II body should i go for 100-400mm is i lens with 1.4x extender.

kuntalbakhade
Apprentice

hello everyone, i have 7D Mk II. Thinking to buy 100-400mm is i lens with 1.4x MKIII extender. i'm not sure about the results i shoot birds & wildlife. does the combination works good? i would to llike to know about the autofocus, sharpness, picture details. Thanks in advance

14 REPLIES 14

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Get the version II of the 100-400!!!"

I cannot compare the versions, but most everyone seems to quite excited about version II. 

And the 1.4 extender is up to version III now, isn't it?

Yes, the extenders are now version III which are supposed to optimize focus performance when used with the newest generation of L lenses.

ThanksTTMARTIN for sharing.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have to side with cicopo on his suggestion of the Sigma 150-600mm, or the Tamron 150-600mm vs the 100-400mm and a 1.4x.  Especially if you are talking the first version.

The slight advantage the Tammy gives you is weather sealing which the Siggy C doesn't have.  Plus I am not a tele extender fan at all.  I have six or seven of them and rarely use any of them.

IMHO, the 100-400 version one doesn't have the IQ to surrender to a converter.  I never tried it on the second version so no comment except I probably wouldn't do it.

The possible exceptions for me as to which lenses can handle the 1.4x are the ef 70-200mm f2.8L II and the ef 300mm f4L IS. I have found these to produce very good results.  Again, IMHO, no lens handles the 2x.  Just my 2 cents and worth every penny.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Since I don't do much tele static stuff here are a couple of recent action shots from a 1D4 / Sigma 150-600 C (hand held, planes flying well over 100 MPH. All shot at 1/500 for prop blur.

ERMFF-179.JPGERMFF-080.JPG

And this one is a crop from 1 shot at the full 600 mm. The autographs on the wing are from the pilots of the Snowbirds plus Chris Hadfield. (full frame first to show how deep a crop.

INGR8823ff.JPG

INGR8823-001.JPG

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

Since I don't do much tele static stuff here are a couple of recent action shots from a 1D4 / Sigma 150-600 C  

If you can only afford the EF 100-400 L IS version 1, I would recommend you get the Sigma 150-600 C instead.

However, if you can afford the Canon EF 100-400 L IS II and the Canon EF Extender 1.4X  III that is the way to go.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements