cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 7D Mk II body should i go for 100-400mm is i lens with 1.4x extender.

kuntalbakhade
Apprentice

hello everyone, i have 7D Mk II. Thinking to buy 100-400mm is i lens with 1.4x MKIII extender. i'm not sure about the results i shoot birds & wildlife. does the combination works good? i would to llike to know about the autofocus, sharpness, picture details. Thanks in advance

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think you should expect outstanding performance from the lens.  It took me a little getting used to the AF and IS modes before I could use it effectively and consistently.  The hardest part is remembering to switch modes.  I am not big on action photography, anyway.  Landscapes is more my speed.  

As far as the 1.4x extender goes, I have one of those, too. I don't use it to shoot action photos as much as others.  The 1.4x seems to slow down AF performance just a bit.  But, the combo seems to produce very crisp pictures.  I'm still testing out the lens, both with and without the extender.  I love the size of the 100-400mm lens, too.  It's nearly identical to the 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

thanks waddizzle. I'm thinking about the 100-400mm IS 1 lens. I'm ok with manual focusing as sometimes it is difficult to autofocus birds on the braches either we need to chose minimun points for autofocus or just override with manual.  As i have 7D MK II i just dont want to lose advantages of  camera output quality or the autofocus ability of it. I know extender reduces the f stop/light entering into the sensors but i think as the body has dual processor it may cope with the combo. BUt I'm not 100% sure.

If you are having the same setup could you plese tell me more about your experience. any image if its ok for you.

thanks

You might want to consider the Sigma 150-600 C as an alternative to that combo. It's heavier and I have missed it not going as wide as the 100-400 (which I do own & have for about 10 years). I may have got lucky with my copy (of the Sigma) but it's quite sharp & the AF has been able to keep up with the action at R/C fun fly events and at the 2 full scale air shows I've attended this year. I have no experience with a TC on my 100-400 so no comments there.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks cicopo, i'll think about that.

Canon 7D Mk II with EF 100-400 L IS II with a Canon 1.4X III - tracking a Great Blue Heron against a cluttered background. (taken yesterday)

100-400 14X.JPG

Number 6 from the series above after post processing.

A00A3097.jpg

Get the version II of the 100-400!!!

And birds on branches, no problem.

7D Mk II with EF 100-400 L IS II with Canon 1.4X III (also taken yesterday)

A00A2972.jpg

"Get the version II of the 100-400!!!"

I cannot compare the versions, but most everyone seems to quite excited about version II. 

@Waddizzle wrote:

I cannot compare the versions, but most everyone seems to quite excited about version II. 

And the 1.4 extender is up to version III now, isn't it?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

And the 1.4 extender is up to version III now, isn't it?

My guess is that you cannot update the firmware in the device, and so they updated the firmware [v3] to include lenses and cameras released since v2 hit the market.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements