cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hate the RF100-500 Lens Collar

tangogal
Contributor

Does anyone else hate the lens collar on the RF100-500 lens? If it's somewhat loose, it frequently breaks open potentially spilling the lens to the ground. It is very hard to tighten enough so that it doesn't slip around when on a tripod. I have owned many of Canon's telephotos before I switched to the mirrorless system. I never had a problem with their lens collars. What genius in engineering came up with this awful lens collar design????

53 REPLIES 53

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

It seems odd that your lens collar is so bad.  Has it always been like this since purchase?  If so, why not call Canon support on 1-800-OK-CANON and maybe they can help you out.  If not, has anything happened or been done to the lens collar?  Over- tightening of the screw to close the collar could strip the thread.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The lens is only a year old and it isn’t stripped. This is just how it was designed.

Honestly, I don't agree with that - if anything you may have got a dud unit, but that doesn't mean the design is fatally flawed.  The design is very similar to ones of earlier similar lenses like the EF 28-300L and the MkI of the 100-400 and they worked fine - I still shoot with the former of these and it functions perfectly after almost 20 years.  I personally prefer the design of the 100-400 MkII, but with the 100-500 I have has no issues with its collar.   If it is still covered by warranty (I live in NZ where we have a 5-year warranty on Canon gear, but I don't know your warranty), then contact Canon and 1-800-OK-CANON to see what they can do to help you.  If it has been like this for a while I am surprised you waited this long to bring it up.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

It is still under warranty at least until sometime in Sept. but I generally used it hand held. The other day I was using it on a tripod and found it very difficult to tighten sufficiently that it did not rotate on the tripod. Also I find one has to be very careful taking it out of the camera bag where I often loosen the lens collar so that it will fit in the space in my bag. When lifting the lens out of my bag, I must be super careful about the collar because it can break open if I don't immediately tighten it.

I have the RF 100-500 and never ever had an issue with it.  Strange...  I honestly feel it seems like a defective unit, I have no issue with the design of the collar.

cheers, TREVOR

I've had the same problem since purchase May 2023, it's a real pain having to constantly check the the tightness. I personally think your bias is showing this definitely a poor design.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi tangogal,

As Tronhard mentioned the tripod collar should not be loose like how you are describing and that is a sign of an issue with the equipment. If a tripod mount is loose or not staying closed we would recommend sending the collar and lens in for repair. That indicates an issue either with the collar itself or an issue with the lens barrel. If your lens is still within the one year manufacturer's warranty make sure to include a copy of the proof of purchase in the box. The technician will need that to verify the warranty.

The Canon U.S.A., Inc. online repair portal allows you to set up service in a few simple steps. The repair portal gives you the ability to set up service for multiple pieces of equipment at once, and to receive a repair estimate in the majority of cases, depending on your model and issue. The portal also allows you to upload images or videos that will assist us in repairing your product. You can also select how you wish to be notified of the progress of your repair. The portal's service history section allows you to view all services that have been performed on any of your camera or video products since January 7, 2020. 

Please follow the link below to access our online repair portal to arrange for service:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com/signin

Instructions for Accessing and Using the Online Repair Portal

You will need to access or create your My Canon Account.

If you already have a My Canon Account and your product is already registered, simply click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you have a My Canon Account and your product is not registered, you must register your product first. Click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu, then click on the “Register Product” link on the right. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you do not have a My Canon Account, you will need to create one. After you create your account, click on the “Add Product” link to register your first product. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product. 

Once you have completed the repair request, you will have an opportunity to print a copy of the request for your records. This request form will also contain shipping instructions and an address label that you will attach to the outside of your shipping box when mailing your equipment for repair.

It isn't broken and does not need repair. It is the design that I hate. If it is even slightly loose, it can break open. It is also hard to tighten so that it doesn't rotate while on a tripod. 

It does indeed sound broken.  Since it's still under warrantly, you should send it in for repair (see Hazel's earlier reply for how to do that).

If you choose not to, then you'll end up living with the broken equipment.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements