cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM spare parts.

rawkus
Apprentice

Hi!  Just stumbled across this forum.

So, a couple of days ago I dropped my EF-S 10-18mm.  It's loose inside, so I took it apart. (It's out of warranty...)

The only thing broken is a tiny ppiece of plastic that "guides" the zoom. Not sure what the correct name would be, sorry.

I've been looking around like crazy but cant figure out what its called or where to get a new one.

I attached a pic of it.

Thanks!89845147_579843839543878_8989932309390032896_n.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You best go is to send it to Canon.  Just replacing the broken part may not be the only thing wrong. If an internal lens shifted or got jarred out of spec, the lens will not take sharp photos.  Recalibration is needed if that happens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yeah, that's my thought as well. I guess I'm also curious as I absolutely LOVE taking things apart and putting them back together again, and learning how it works in the process. This lens is a goner in my opinion as I got quoted anything from $180-240 to fix it. I paid $219 for it, so in that case I'll just buy a new one.  I do want to keep it and just "tamper" with it to learn more about how they are built etc.

Now, is there a place to get spare parts or would my best bet be to find maybe a used one and snag parts from that? 

@rawkus wrote:

Yeah, that's my thought as well. I guess I'm also curious as I absolutely LOVE taking things apart and putting them back together again, and learning how it works in the process. This lens is a goner in my opinion as I got quoted anything from $180-240 to fix it. I paid $219 for it, so in that case I'll just buy a new one.  I do want to keep it and just "tamper" with it to learn more about how they are built etc.

Now, is there a place to get spare parts or would my best bet be to find maybe a used one and snag parts from that? 

I would think that the part would be cheaper than a used lens in operational condition. And Canon does have a parts department. But consider this: If you buy a used lens to get the part or to just tamper, you get to test it before you tear it up. Maybe it will turn out to be in as good condition as your original lens was before it got grunched.

FWIW, I completely agree with Ernie. Any lens that's been dropped hard enough to break something probably also has something bent that will affect the alignment and would be difficult and/or expensive to repair.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@pizza hut survey wrote:

I would think that the part would be cheaper than a used lens in operational condition. And Canon does have a parts department. But consider this: If you buy a used lens to get the part or to just tamper, you get to test it before you tear it up. Maybe it will turn out to be in as good condition as your original lens was before it got grunched.

FWIW, I completely agree with Ernie. Any lens that's been dropped hard enough to break something probably also has something bent that will affect the alignment and would be difficult and/or expensive to repair.

Just replacing the broken part may not be the only thing wrong. If an internal lens shifted or got jarred out of spec, the lens will not take sharp photos.  Recalibration is needed if that happens.

Announcements