cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T7 DSLR comability with SLR Lens

HokeyHokey
Contributor

I'm looking to get an EOS Rebel T7 DSLR camera, but I'm also looking to get a 17-40mm Ultra wide-angle lens, but the only Canon lens I can find specifically says it's for SLR cameras. Does that mean it won't work for a Rebel T7 camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Authority

The 17-40 is an old lens but a good one.  As John said, it will fit on your camera, just be aware that because your camera has a smaller sensor than a FF camera, it will actually provide a Field of View (what the sensor actually captures) equivalent to that of a 27-64mm lens - which is still wide angle (but not ultra wide angle), and will have a definitely narrower FoV than it would on a full-frame body.

To give you an idea, here is a photo taken with a similarly crop sensor body, the Canon D30 with the 17-40 at its widest.

CRW_0212.jpg

If you really want ultra wide angle, then something like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USI is a very good lens, and on your body would produce a FoV of 16-35mm - which is ultra wide. Neither this, nor the 17-40 f/4 is stabilized.

If you are prepared to accept Another great lens in the same general range, and that is stabilized, is the excellent EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, (FoV 24-136mm) which offers an extremely versatile range and great optics.  No longer made, but you can get good ones second hand - I have a couple and love them! 

Again, to give you an idea of this lens' widest FoV, this image is taken with one on a Canon EOS 60D - same size sensor as yours.

NZ Auckland Muriwai Gannet Colony Sunset 07-1 (2).jpg

cheers, TREVOR

Professional photographer, engineer and educator since 1980

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
"A good swordsman is more important than a good sword" Amit Kalantri
Technique will always Outlast Tech - Me

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend

Any lens that says it is compatible with Canon EF mount will work with your camera. The 17-40 lens was released back when film cameras were the standard. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic

Tronhard
Authority

The 17-40 is an old lens but a good one.  As John said, it will fit on your camera, just be aware that because your camera has a smaller sensor than a FF camera, it will actually provide a Field of View (what the sensor actually captures) equivalent to that of a 27-64mm lens - which is still wide angle (but not ultra wide angle), and will have a definitely narrower FoV than it would on a full-frame body.

To give you an idea, here is a photo taken with a similarly crop sensor body, the Canon D30 with the 17-40 at its widest.

CRW_0212.jpg

If you really want ultra wide angle, then something like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USI is a very good lens, and on your body would produce a FoV of 16-35mm - which is ultra wide. Neither this, nor the 17-40 f/4 is stabilized.

If you are prepared to accept Another great lens in the same general range, and that is stabilized, is the excellent EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, (FoV 24-136mm) which offers an extremely versatile range and great optics.  No longer made, but you can get good ones second hand - I have a couple and love them! 

Again, to give you an idea of this lens' widest FoV, this image is taken with one on a Canon EOS 60D - same size sensor as yours.

NZ Auckland Muriwai Gannet Colony Sunset 07-1 (2).jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I'd be using it for real estate photos, so would image stabilization be a priority in this case?

You can use a tripod for real estate shoots, so I wouldn’t consider IS a priority for that use. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Well, I will put it this way: one of the most renowned real estate photographers in the US, Scott Hargis, uses a Canon EF17-40, but with a full-frame camera that will give an actual 17-40 performance, so to get the same FoV the EF-S 10-22 would give you that extra angle.  I have one, and it's a good lens.   Scott has some videos on real estate photography and has an excellent e-book available called Lighting Interiors - a very instructive read.

Like any ultra wide angle you need to make sure that your verticals are vertical - introducing tilt into images creates a sense of tension, and makes the wall feel like they are falling in on you, and you don't want that in real estate images.

Here are a couple of samples of the kind of thing I think you are looking for. Both taken with the 10-22mm @ 10mm (so FoV 16mm)

IMG_3003a copy.jpgIMG_2976a LR copy.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

So using a 10-22 with a rebel T7 gets you the same, or nearly the same, FOV as a 17-40 with a full-frame camera?

Yes.

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend

"Any lens that says it is compatible with Canon EF mount ..."

Perhaps a bit more simple to understand is the lens will have "EF" or "EF-S" in its name. I.E., EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens. Or,  EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  BTW, the latter is a far better choice for your T7 and nearly the same price.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Any lens that says it is compatible with Canon EF mount ..."

Perhaps a bit more simple to understand is the lens will have "EF" or "EF-S" in its name. I.E., EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens. Or,  EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  BTW, the latter is a far better choice for your T7 and nearly the same price.

While Canon manufactured lenses will say EF or EF-S on the lens many compatible third-party lenses will not.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements
06/10/2022: Service Notice:UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.3.2 is available for PowerShot G7 X Mark III
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3 is available for EOS M50 Mark II
05/31/2022: Did someone SAY Badges?
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS-C500 Mark II
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C300 Mark III
05/10/2022: Keep your Canon gear in optimal condition with a Canon Maintenance Service
05/05/2022: We are excited to announce that we have refreshed the ranking scale within the community!
04/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1.1 is available for EOS R5 C
03/23/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C70
03/22/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for PowerShot PICK
03/16/2022: New firmware version 1.5.2 is available for EOS-R5
03/16/2022: New firmware version 1.5.2 is available for EOS-R6
02/09/2022: Share Your Photos is back!
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for EOS-R3
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.6.1 is available for EOS-1DX Mark III
01/19/2022: READY FOR ANYTHING EOS-R5 C
01/13/2022: Community Update. We will be retiring the legacy profile avatars on 01/20/2022. Click this link to read more.
01/05/2022: Welcome to CES 2022!
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.3.0 is available for Mount Adapter EF-EOS R 0.71x
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for CR-N 300
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.1.1 is available for CR-N 500
12/2/2021: New firmware version 1.1.0 is available for RF 70-200 F4 L IS USM