cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18-55 STM -AutoFocus SWITCH- not working!

Roohollah
Apprentice

Hello guys, I have a problem with my new camera's lens 18-55 STM.

It focus automatically once, just when I turn camera on(250D), and manual focus work as fine(electronic, use motor, not mechanical), but It's like auto focus switch is not working at all

On the camera info screen, this Lens is always on MF

Is there any easy way to make it work? I never had such a problem with none canon lens or cameras I worked with(wide range)

It's my family camera, and not focusing, is a huge problem, please help me If you know the solution for it

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I respect that have experience with there camera, but is it possible that a setting has been inadvertently been applied?  I looked in the manual on P104, and it is possible that a setting to go to manual could override the switch settings.  Other than that, I would suggest doing a factory reset as a sort of global clearing.

If all that fails, I would suggest logging a job with Canon for a service check.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Beyond resetting the camera I doubt there is anything else you can do. If resetting doesn't work then it will require servicing by an authorized repair shop. How old is the camera/lens? You may still have warranty.

Here is what you do. Fully charge the battery making sure it is fully recharged. Menu, tools, clear all settings, clear all custom settings. Set the camera to P mode, ISO 200 and daylight WB. Use One shot never use Ai-servo at this point. format the SD card in camera. Make certain the AF/MF switch on the lens is in the AF position. Go outside one a nice sunny day and shoot differing subjects. Family, trees, buildings, etc. If it works it works and there is nothing wrong with the camera/lens.

BTW, never turn the focus ring while the camera is in AF mode and focusing.  I would not zoom it either while it is focusing. You will damage it if you do.

Good luck.

"Technique will always usually Outlast Tech - Me

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Actually Ernie if, as the OP indicates, they are using an STM lens, they can move the lens in MF mode while it is set to AF as it uses fly-by-wire tech.

BTW, I love your version of of my sign-off!  Priceless!!! 😃

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Since your camera displays MF while the lens switch is set to AF, I am quite sure your lens is either defective or not communicating with the camera. Cleaning the electrical contacts on both the lens and camera might solve this problem. A good way to trouble shoot this problem is to try the lens on another camera. 

If your 18-55 STM is no longer under warranty, it would be cheaper to replace it rather than service it. It might be a good idea to start shopping for a replacement. 

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... if, as the OP indicates, they are using an STM lens, ..."

I always suspect the worst. The STM version is a lens that I have never used. I am glad it doesn't suffer form the problem. Although it is probably a good idea to get in the habit of not messing with the focus ring on any lens while it is in AF mode just in case. I doubt most of the beginners, me!, are aware of the difference.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Just one thought.

If you hit your menu button and choose the first shooting menu, go down to the lens aberration correction tab. Select that.    Is your 18-55mm lens showing up at the top of the screen?   If it's not, your camera may not be recognizing your lens, and you'd have to take some of the other steps that others have suggested.

Steve Thomas

Camera even recognize lens firmware wich is:

Roohollah
Apprentice

Thank you everyone.

I tested 2 other lens on this camera, and they work fine.

So at last, lens need to go service center for repair.

Thank you all

Announcements