cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best (Not Ultra Expensive) Everyday Lens for Canon 5d Mark II?

kayleec
Apprentice

Hi Everyone!

I have a Canon 5d Mark II but have never upgraded from my Canon 50mm 1.8 lens. I primarily am shooting indoors and I'd love to be able to fit a little more in the frame (the rooms in my house are small and I'm typically shooting everyday life/family scenes). I'd consider myself an amateur photographer so I'm not looking to spend thousands, but the 50mm just isn't working for me. 

Any suggestions? I've looked into the Canon 35mm f/2 but have seen mixed reviews. 

14 REPLIES 14

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you want a zoom or prime?

The 40mm f/2 might also be a good choice.

I'm open to either zoom or prime. I've been looking into prime lenses because they seem to be less expensive. I have loved the 50mm's aperture abilities (not sure if that's how you'd phrase that...) since my original kit lens I had back in the day (with my Rebel T3i) didn't get even close to 1.8.

My everyday lens is a Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4.  Super sharp and goes right into dark rooms and comes out with great shots. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I guess the Art is not *Ultra* expensive, just ridiculosly expensive.

@kayleec wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I have a Canon 5d Mark II but have never upgraded from my Canon 50mm 1.8 lens. I primarily am shooting indoors and I'd love to be able to fit a little more in the frame (the rooms in my house are small and I'm typically shooting everyday life/family scenes). I'd consider myself an amateur photographer so I'm not looking to spend thousands, but the 50mm just isn't working for me. 

Any suggestions? I've looked into the Canon 35mm f/2 but have seen mixed reviews. 

You want the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS. It's an excellent lens for the money and can sometimes be found at a significant discount. And it's in the process of being replaced by a newer model, which should put additional downward pressure on its price.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@kayleec wrote:

Hi Everyone!

If you want a wide angle lens, with a wide aperture, you're going to spend some money, especially for a full frame body. 

I'm not sure if a 35mm lens can give you the angle of view that you seem to be looking for.  I'd advise looking at something in the 16-28mm range, with f/2.8 aperture, or faster. 

I think what you're looking for is something like the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, which has recently been replaced by a version III of the lens.  But, neither lens is inexpensive.  The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is a great lens, but I would advise using a flash indoors with an f/4 lens.  A flash is a good investment, anyway.

You can find the 24-105mm lens in Canon's Refurbished Store for as much as 40% of the regular list price, when it goes on sale.  Items sell out quickly in the Refurbished store because they are such excellent values for the money.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Canon has a few new lenses... the most popular lens for the 5D II had been the 24-105mm f/4L ... about $1000 but could sometimes be found in a "white box" edition for maybe $700.   It was the "kit" lens for a few cameras and sometimes the consumer wanted the "body only" (they already owned lenses) but the store didn't have a "body only" package to sell...so they'd remove the lens and sell it separately as a "white box".

Also the 24-105mm f/4L has been updated and there's now a version "II" of that lens.  (often that means you can get the original version less.)  The refurb of the original is available on the Canon store for about $650.

There's also the EF 17-40mm f/4L... about $590 on the refurb store.

Lastly, now Canon sells a version of the 24-105 in a variable f/3.5-5.6 version.  I see this lens is available in Canon's "refurbished" section of the store for only $479.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Bob from Boston has again offered the correct answer.

"You want the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS."

This lens is hard to beat at its regular price. It is a Best Buy in a pro level Canon "L" lens.  Usually the first L lens most people buy.  And now the price is sure to come down with the release of the new version.  If you look for a WHite Box copy you can expect $700 or even lower in a price.  An outstanding value.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston has again offered the correct answer.

"You want the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS."

This lens is hard to beat at its regular price. It is a Best Buy in a pro level Canon "L" lens.  Usually the first L lens most people buy.  And now the price is sure to come down with the release of the new version.  If you look for a WHite Box copy you can expect $700 or even lower in a price.  An outstanding value.

Everything you said, i would agree with.  Except for this case, the OP stated they mainly shoot indoors with a 50mm f/1.8..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements