cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice requested re Canon 1.4 extender

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

I already had a Canon 1.4x mark I extender when I recently bought a Canon 100-400 L II lens. The mark I extender seems to work fine with it but should I spring for a mark III extender for this lens? I had been using the mark 1 extender with the similar-vintage Canon 300mm f4 L. Cameras are EOS R and 90D and I shoot mostly butterflies, bees, and smaller nature--not many birds. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Doing a test with the version iii extender would be the best way for you to decide if the upgrade is worth it for you.

With current sensors, you really have to decide whether you are better off cropping versus using an extender.  I am going to be shooting some outside stuff later today and for fun shot the same subject from the same distance using an EF 400 f2.8 IS II with and without the version II 1.4X extender.  Here are a couple of comparison shots below with the bare lens cropped to basically the same subject size for both conditions.

The EF 400 f2.8 is one of optically sharpest lenses Canon makes so even with the degradation via the extender it is still sharp but the results are noticeable.  This was using my 1DX III, the same setup with my 5DS R would likely bias the results even more towards cropping.

Just a little more data to help you decide whether it is worthwhile to upgrade from an early to later version of an extender.  The better high ISO performance of newer bodies helps offset the old problem of losing a stop with the 1.4X but with the denser/higher MP sensor it makes cropping a much more viable option also.

First image is bare EF 400 f2.8 IS II, the second with the 1.4X and both were shot from exactly the same location.  The last image shows why the loss of depth of field is a drawback to the use of the extender, only about a 3" loss for this combination at the distance I was shooting but if I had used the extender with the last image it would have been an issue.

Rodger

AS0I1482.JPG

AS0I1544.JPG

AS0I1486.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

Peter
Authority
Authority

If 90D has the same AF module as 80D has, then x1.4 III will give you more usable AF points than x1.4 or 1.4 II. Check page 135 in the 80D manual. From 1 point to 9 points.

You can try yourself right now with x1.4 and 100-400 II and check how many AF points you are able to use.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Wandalynn wrote:

I already had a Canon 1.4x mark I extender when I recently bought a Canon 100-400 L II lens. The mark I extender seems to work fine with it but should I spring for a mark III extender for this lens? I had been using the mark 1 extender with the similar-vintage Canon 300mm f4 L. Cameras are EOS R and 90D and I shoot mostly butterflies, bees, and smaller nature--not many birds. Thanks.

The 6D Mark II has the same AF system as both the 80D and 90D, or at least seems to.  You get 27 f/8 AF points, three rows of 9 AF points, with the 1.4x III and the 100-400mm Mark II.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I had been using the mark 1 extender with the similar-vintage Canon 300mm f4 L."

This is one of the few lenses I recommend using a 1.4x tele-con.  It works very well. Personal experience with both since I own both.  As a general rule I am not a great fan of extenders. My friends tell me the new 100-400mm zoom is also a good working combo. I can't say personally since I have neither the Mk III tel-con nor the new 100-400mm zoom. However, form what I am told it is worth getting the Mk III extender for the new zoom.

I very much prefer native FL. IMHO, a super zoom like one of the 150-600mm lenses is a better choice. Again though, you have the Mk II version 100-400mm so I would go for the new Mk III 1.4x tel con. AF points is not the only benefit here.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I use the 1.4x mk III extender with the new 100-400 zoom lens on occasion and found the focus not quite satisfactory until I removed a clear lens filter.  If I left the lens filter in place and removed the extender, the focus was sharp.  I'm interested in hearing others experience/knowledge with this topic.  

Just for fun,  I'm posting two images shot at 560mm (Canon 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM Mark II + 1.4X Mark III Ext) with no clear uv protector.  I should have had a better shutter speed for the skydivers, as it was difficult tracking them as I had no warning when they would jump.  Cheers.. G

039A5190-2.JPG

039A5002-2.JPG

@PhotoGerry wrote:

I use the 1.4x mk III extender with the new 100-400 zoom lens on occasion and found the focus not quite satisfactory until I removed a clear lens filter.  If I left the lens filter in place and removed the extender, the focus was sharp.  I'm interested in hearing others experience/knowledge with this topic.  

Just for fun,  I'm posting two images shot at 560mm (Canon 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM Mark II + 1.4X Mark III Ext) with no clear uv protector.  I should have had a better shutter speed for the skydivers, as it was difficult tracking them as I had no warning when they would jump.  Cheers.. G

There is such thing as a "clear UV filter".  There are UV filters, which the lens does not like.  And, there are Clear filters, which do not seem to have any effect on lens performance.  I recommend B+W Nano Clear filters for any lens.  Never UV or CPL.

"there are Clear filters, which do not seem to have any effect on lens performance."

Not my experience.  My first version 100-400mm Canon did not play well with any filter. I sold my ef 400mm f5.6L prime to buy the 100-400mm and later regretted it.  So I sold the 100-400mm zoom to buy another 400mm f5.6L. Live and learn.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"there are Clear filters, which do not seem to have any effect on lens performance."

Not my experience.  My first version 100-400mm Canon did not play well with any filter. I sold my ef 400mm f5.6L prime to buy the 100-400mm and later regretted it.  So I sold the 100-400mm zoom to buy another 400mm f5.6L. Live and learn.

Sounds like a good reason to simply remove the filter, and go without one.  If your images were still not to your liking, then the problem was the lens, not the filters.

I could not get sharp images with the 100-400mm II until I removed the UV filter, and set Image Priority to FOCUS.

"Sounds like a good reason to simply remove the filter, and go without one"

The filter did not remain on it for long.  Two of my closer friends had the same lens and filter issues.  We all sold it and bought, in my case bought another, the 400mm f5.6L. Even without a filter the 100-400mm is not as sharp as the prime. Besides the first 100-400mm has additional problems not just not liking filters. It really soured me and probably why I never bought the current version of the 100-400mm which I am told is much better. No first hand experience with it.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Sounds like a good reason to simply remove the filter, and go without one"

The filter did not remain on it for long.  Two of my closer friends had the same lens and filter issues.  We all sold it and bought, in my case bought another, the 400mm f5.6L. Even without a filter the 100-400mm is not as sharp as the prime. Besides the first 100-400mm has additional problems not just not liking filters. It really soured me and probably why I never bought the current version of the 100-400mm which I am told is much better. No first hand experience with it.

I have not used the 400mm f/5.6 nor the original 100-400mm.  The 100-400mm II is razor sharp, even wide open.

4A1ABCB8-61DC-4C8D-AA3E-58950EDB1ECC.jpeg

Announcements