cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my scanner driver won’t open on my canon mx860 on my iMac

hgittler
Apprentice
I have a Canon all in one printer MX860 that is set up wireless and has worked flawlessly until today.  The printing is fine but the scanner now gives a  message when I try to open the scanner driver I get the following message “Error in scanner.  Turn off scanner and follow instructions in manual.  Scanner driver will be closed.  151.0.0”
I went to canon to update the drivers and their web page said that the drivers were included in updates to El Capitain.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

First please let me tell you how grateful I am that you gave me the info to call canon.  It is much appreciated.

They could not resolve the issue with me and finally asked me to call Apple.  They also as of this date have not been able either to resolve the issue.  Apple wants one more seing at the bat and if that doesn't work I will look for another all in one printer.  Thanks again for responding so quickly.

Sincerely,

Hgittler

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi gittler,

It is recommended that you contact live technical support . There is NO charge for this call. Real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to resolve this issue faster.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

First please let me tell you how grateful I am that you gave me the info to call canon.  It is much appreciated.

They could not resolve the issue with me and finally asked me to call Apple.  They also as of this date have not been able either to resolve the issue.  Apple wants one more seing at the bat and if that doesn't work I will look for another all in one printer.  Thanks again for responding so quickly.

Sincerely,

Hgittler

After 4 hours, I was able to get my scanner to function, YAY!!!   Here's how:

I went to this page:  

Support for MX860

Then, I stepped back OS X versions from OS X 10.12 (which was detected) until I got a result in Recommended Downloads.  This happened when OS X 10.10 Yosemite was chosen.  

I selected the  MX860 series Scanner Driver Ver. 14.11.4a (OS X 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10), which allowed me to download this "msd_-mac-mx860-14_11_4a-ea8_2.dmg", which I installed.

Stuff was still not working, at least not from the unit, so as a last resort, I went (back) into Settings>Printers & Scanners>Canon MX860 series> Open Scanner and Voilá, IT WORKED!!!!

I don't know how, I know it's not compatible, but I don't care!!  It's working and that's what's important.  Hopefully Canon and Apple  will get their sh*t together and make compatibility a priority, but since the MX860 is not even on the list (see picture), 

we just have to work with what we got!  

Mac Compatible PIXMA MX Series.png

Thanks you for the help.  I will follow your advice.

Announcements