cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

macOS 10.15 - minor Catalina updates require scanner driver reinstall

spalmen
Apprentice

Canon Support, if you are lurking here, every time I install a minor macOS 10.15 update, I must reinstall the scanner driver to restore scanner function of my TS6020.

After applying the macOS update, when I use Apple's Preview.app to scan, the scanner fails, and reports the driver is "corrupt or missing".

The workaround is to reinstall the scanner driver (currently ICA Driver Ver.4.3.4a.) After that, scanner works fine (until the next minor macOS update.)

Has happened after every Catalina update, i.e. 10.15.1, 10.15.2 … 10.15.4.

Affects only the scanner driver, the printer driver survives the macOS update just fine.

iMac Retina 5K, 27" (Late 2014)

PIXMA TS6020

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Just curious if the drivers are being moved to 'Relocated Items'.  That folder is found in /Users/Shared/.

If the drivers are showing up in there, you'd have more info to relate to Canon and/or Apple.

Also check any 'Previously Relocated Items' folders as well.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

Just curious if the drivers are being moved to 'Relocated Items'.  That folder is found in /Users/Shared/.

If the drivers are showing up in there, you'd have more info to relate to Canon and/or Apple.

Also check any 'Previously Relocated Items' folders as well.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought to check 'Relocated Items'. 

But no joy, no scanner bits are present.

Cheers...

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi spalman,

You should not have to install after each update in Catalina. The ICA driver uses Apple's built in scanner system and should still work between minor updates. To see if I can assist further with the issue I would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with any the information below, I can look further into the issue for you.

1. Do you remember any error code numbers that appeared with the scanner driver message?
  2. When you started the scan, did the scanner make any noise or did it not respond at all?
  3. The scanner driver installs into the location library/printers/canon/ijscanner, do you know if the drivers are gone after your update?
  4. Do you have any other scanners connected and do they work after your updates?

Hi Hector, thanks for the reply.

Given that the next incremental update, 10.15.5 GM, is weeks, perhaps months, away today I updated to 10.15.5 beta 1 -- it was the only way to answer #3,  FWIW I don't typically install early macOS betas.

> 1. Do you remember any error code numbers that appeared with the scanner driver message?

None. Canon IJ Scan Utility2 v2.3.7, Apple Preview v11.0 and Image Capture v8.0 simply display a document modal "A required file is missing or corrupted, or settings are incorrect. Try the installation again." [OK]

> 2. When you started the scan, did the scanner make any noise or did it not respond at all?

No response at all. No sound, no LCD panel light.

> 3. The scanner driver installs into the location library/printers/canon/ijscanner, do you know if the drivers are gone after your update?

Prior to update, I listed the contents of /Library/Printers/Canon/IJScanner (ls -lahR), then installed 15.5b1, listed IJScanner again, and compared the two.

No files are missing. There are some differences in individual directory and file permissions, owner, and modified dates.

Are there specific files of interest to you? (I've used Canon printers and scanners for 10+ years so there are a lot of "old" resources in IJScanner/. I can't tell which are TS6020-specific.)

Are there error messages I can fish out of a system log for you? I searched Console for messages related to the apps I used to try to scan, as well as "Canon" "TS6", "scan" but nothing jumped out. 

If you want to see the before/after lists of IJScanner/ contents, I am happy to send the .txts to you.

> 4. Do you have any other scanners connected and do they work after your updates?

No other scanners.

Cheers…

Any solution to this yet?

I can not get my MG6220 to be recognized by ImageCapture on my new Mac Mini running Catalina.

Frustrating.

Announcements