cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated Printer Driver and now missing scanner software MG5220

WendyH
Contributor

I've used the MG5220 happily for about 10 years.  Still going strong (although I am eyeballing new models).  I recently updated the driver because I was having trouble adding the printer to 2 devices on my local network.  The "new" driver (circa 2015) solved that problem and my 2 new devices are printing successfully.. yay!

However, I just went to use the scanner on my main PC and I first attempted to open the scanner icon shortcut and it croaked (cannot start MP Navigator EX).  Then I remembered my recent driver upgrade, so I went looking for scanner utility and couldn't find anything.   I'm very confused.  I can't remember from 10 years ago how the scanner stuff was set up, but I do recall it was tricky getting it set up correctly.  

I found on Devices&Printers/MG5200/right click had a Scan option.  That got me a very primitive interface with no features (auto-detect paper size, etc. etc. etc.)  

How can I get back the robust scan utility I used to have?   

Should updating the driver have messed up the existing scan stuff?  Should updating the driver have included updated scan stuff?   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers should resolve this issue.  Please perform the following:

1.  Open the Control Panel from your Desktop or Start Menu.
2.  Open Programs and Features.
3.  Uninstall the MG5200/MP Drivers, the MP Navigator and the Canon IJ Network Tool (if it is listed).
4.  Go back to the Control Panel.
5.  Open Printers or Devices and Printers.
6.  Right-click and delete or remove any copies of the printer that are listed here.

Once this has been done, reinstall the MP Drivers [mp68-win-mg5200-1_05-ejs.exe] and the MP Navigator [mpnx_4_0-win-4_03-ea23_2.exe].  Then try using the MP Navigator again.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Darius
Whiz

Hello WendyH.

The updated drivers include the driver scanning interface but not the updated MP Navigator EX.  If it's supported on your computer's current OS, you may find the latest version of the MP Navigator EX on the Software tab of the MG5220 Drivers & Downloads page.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Actually, I did find the Navigator EX driver and I installed it.  But I couldn't figure out what to open.   The Device&Printer page didn't show a scanner.   My old scanner shortcut on the taskbar got an error that it couldn't find something or other.   

Is there documentation somewhere on how to install/use it?

Hi WendyH,

What version of Windows is installed on your computer?

If using a Mac, what version of OSX is installed?

I am running Windows 7, but that has nothing to do with the problem.  I installed the MP Navigator EX that was the search result for my MG 5220 search.  It has the same date created as the printer driver.  The file I downloaded is

MP Navigator EX Ver. 4.03 (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP)

The problem is that when I access from my Start window it says my device is not on the list of supported devices:  MG5200 is listed (among others), but MG5220 is not listed.   

How am I supposed to get my scanner to work!!?!?!?!!   This is very frustrating!!!!!!    I urgently need to scan some documents and I cannot.  

Hello.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers should resolve this issue.  Please perform the following:

1.  Open the Control Panel from your Desktop or Start Menu.
2.  Open Programs and Features.
3.  Uninstall the MG5200/MP Drivers, the MP Navigator and the Canon IJ Network Tool (if it is listed).
4.  Go back to the Control Panel.
5.  Open Printers or Devices and Printers.
6.  Right-click and delete or remove any copies of the printer that are listed here.

Once this has been done, reinstall the MP Drivers [mp68-win-mg5200-1_05-ejs.exe] and the MP Navigator [mpnx_4_0-win-4_03-ea23_2.exe].  Then try using the MP Navigator again.

Thank you.  That did the trick.   I actually had 2 Canon Network programs not 1.  I uninstalled both.  One was Network Tool and one was Network Scan Utility.  Both from 2011.  

THe only lingering issue is the program icon is the default Windows icon, not the scanner icon.  When I went to the Start Menu shortcut and selected Properties and selected "Change Icon", I got an error : "Windows can't find the file %ProgramFiles%\Canon\MP Navigator EX 4.0\mpnex40.exe"    I fiddled around and resolved it.

The other error in that the installer said it would create a shortcut on the desktop but it did not.  no big deal.

And good news, I see that the new version seems to have some additional shortcuts & features that might prove interesting.

This looks exactly like what I need, but could you please give instructions on how to uninstall and reinstall the drivers on a Mac? I downloaded driver for High Sierra but don't know what to do next.

Hi Januses,

The uninstall and reinstall will be different for the Mac. To remove the old version of the software, you can go into your application folder to remove the MP Navigator program so you can reinstall. In applications, you should see a folder for Canon Utilities. In Canon Utilities, you can drag any MP Navigator folders to the trash and then you can empty the trash.

After moving to the trash and emptying or if you do not see MP Navigator, you can move on to the driver and software install. The Files you need for the reinstall can be found at the link HERE.

You will need to download the ICA driver (mcpd-mac-mg5200-16_20_0_0-ea21_3.dmg) and the scanner driver (msd_-mac-mg5200-17_7_1b-ea8_2.dmg) under the drivers tab. You will also need the MP Navigator install from the software tab (mnve_4_0-mac-all-4_0_6-ea8_2.dmg).

After the downloads are complete, you can double click on the downloads and follow the on screen instructions to finish the installs. Once the installs are complete, you can try scanning again.

Thanks Hector, that solved the problem. I had not downloaded the proper software along with the drivers before. Thank you!!

Announcements