cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Much Counterfeit Canon Ink Cartridges on Amazon.com

JackWillson
Contributor

There are sooo many fakes on the Amazon platform that I can't tell which Canon 280 281 cartridges are genuine. The pictures on Amazon look exactly the same as the original ones, but the actual ones have nothing to do with it.

When I search for canon 280 281 ink cartridges for canon printers, I get a page like this:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=canon+280+281+ink+cartridges+for+canon+printers、

fake canonfake canon

Can you tell which Canon cartridges are genuine ???

18 REPLIES 18

C'mon. You need to LOOK AT what you are buying. Third party guys can emulate all they want, but if it doesn't even SAY Canon on it how can you accuse them of counterfeiting?

Refer to "trade dress".  Shady businesses will use similar trade dress to ultimately trick unsuspecting consumers.  And ultimately rob sales (from Canon in this situation).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

That’s because the majority of the people don’t spend the time to do that. Looks like it, click the button. Why do you think the majority of third party products look just like the original. Like Ricky says - trade dress. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Not only the "Acaues" brand, but every single product in my pictures is not Canon, and I believe that not everyone can guarantee that they are getting the original every time they buy it.

JackWillson
Contributor

Can someone please tell me how to report this situation to Canon? They need to remove all these counterfeit products, otherwise I'll have to consider using an HP or Epson printer.
I am so used to shopping on Amazon that I don't want to find another way.

@JackWillson wrote:

Can someone please tell me how to report this situation to Canon? They need to remove all these counterfeit products, otherwise I'll have to consider using an HP or Epson printer.
I am so used to shopping on Amazon that I don't want to find another way.

@JackWillson,

Lets be reasonable here.....  Canon does not control Amazon, or who they allow to sell on their site.  There are sellers on Amazon offering counterfeit inks for HP and Epson too.  The decision what and who to purchase from is ultimately yours.  Don't blame Canon.  They are not the ink police. Canon will sell you genuine inks if you purchase direct.  If you purchase from a 3rd party, then you assume the risk.  Canon is not responsible if you are "so used to shopping on Amazon that I don't want to find another way".  I've provided proof that Canon and Amazon are taking steps to combat counterfeit sales.  The rest is up to you as a consumer.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for your patience, frankly you are right, I think the main problem is Amazon's indulgence, but my complaint to Amazon has not received a response, so I hope Canon can help us complain to Amazon about this behaviour.

Stephen

We don't sell on Amazon. The only Authorized Canon Dealer is Amazon.com. That means you should look for Genuine Canon products that are sold and shipped (fulfilled) by Amazon.com. If they're being sold or shipped by anyone else, they're not an authorized Canon Dealer, which could be fake. Learn more at canon.us/counterfeit and our advisory about counterfeit inkjet cartridges here

This behaviour of selling counterfeit goods has become very common on Amazon recently, which will definitely affect Canon's sales. You can complain to Amazon to stop this behaviour, just like HP recently asked Amazon to stop selling many brands to prevent more consumers from buying fake goods.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements