cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma iP8720 Firmware Update

burninmedia
Contributor

I have an iP8720 printer on firmware 1.080 and it says version 2.00 is available. But when I try to update the firmware the printer restart and the website shows unable to load the firmware check manual. Well, the manual says nothing about firmware updates. Does anyone know how I can manually update the firmware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi burninmedia,

The firmware update of the PIXMA iP8720 is not available on the web site as a download, as it is performed using the printer's remote user interface.

Your PIXMA iP8720 must be connected to your network.  Once connected, print the network configuration page to determine the printer's IP address.  To print this page, please load plain paper in the printer and press and hold the RESUME / CANCEL button until the POWER lamp flashes white 6 times, then let it go.

On the page that printed, please take note of the IPv4 IP Address.

On your computer, please open a web browser and enter the printer's IPv4 IP Address in the address bar to access the iP8720's remote user interface.

Once that page loads, click on Firmware Update in the menu on the left side to perform the update.

Confirm the update message by clicking Yes and the update will be performed.

I performed this update today, so I know that the update is available and working correctly.

Please note, once the update is complete, the IPv3 IP address of the printer may change.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Additionally, I just tried Canon technical support. If out of warranty, they will not support this product unless you purchase an additional tech support package, to include firmware access support.

If the printer is working correctly I would stop worrying about it. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The problem is it doesn't always work properly.  There are some images / print jobs that are hit or miss.  It's not unusual to have the printer spit out one "line" then a blank page then another page with one line, etc.  I was hoping a firmware update would help address some of the limitations.

such BS. If you have the firmware then share it, don't freaking charge for it. My printer complains about not supporting google cloud print and I should upgrade. Why can't I upgrade I'm sure this HTTP server on the printer has security issues at this point and the firmware should be provided to keep us the customer safe.

looks like my assumption about the security of this printer was correct.

https://www.contextis.com/en/blog/hacking-canon-pixma-printers-doomed-encryption

All of the software that is available for this unit is freely available for download on our site. The printer doesn't know whether or not you've paid for phone support. That is the only thing we charge for - phone support. Nothing more. 

You'll find every single download for this printer in your My Canon Account (once you've registered the printer) at canon.us/account

And at THIS page.

Stephen,

Please explain why the Printer's UI webpage states there is a firmware version 2.0 and it tries to download it and fails.  Also, please explain how some users may have a newer firmware (e.g., 1.8) than others such as myself (1.04).  The Canon support page states that there are NO firmware updates.  Clearly there is an error within the Canon website and servers.  As you are a Canon moderator, please take another look and see if you can find a more informed answer vice dismissing the customers.  Thank you.

As a follow-up, the printer has been registered since 2015. Further, I've been to the pages you listed and there is nothing. Either the printers UI webpage is in error or your assertion is. Please note also that I'm not the only one with the issue.

Untitled.png

As you can see This page has NOTHING for downloading firmware. I tried every OS option. Firmware is OS irrelevant.

Can you respond to my post?
Announcements