cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX922 test page good but will not print documents in black ink

cmax44
Apprentice

MX922 was working perfectly and I love this printer. A few days ago, it failed to print an on-line tax return. Assumed there was some problem with the web site so I just saved it as a pdf. Then it happend again...prints color fine but nothing in black. Nozzle check/test page is perfect but did a cleaning anyway. Still the same. Happens with most WORD documents but one I created 4/5/16 will print--one I created 4/6 will not. So far all Acrobat & html docs are affected. Have deleted and added printer but that did not help. I have never been able to use as wireless so it is plugged into USB.

OS MAC el Capitan. Recently installed Family Tree Maker and perhaps an MS Office update. 

Will appreciate any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for your reply. You are correct...I did not realize there were supposed to be two black grids on the test page. I called tech support and we are working on it. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

jbbass71
Apprentice

Re: printer not printing black 

Hi, yes ALL of the Canon Support responses are Canned / Robot scripted responses and useless.

Canon has no idea how to fix this problem. There is hope! See below for FIX / Work Around.

Here is the only "work around" that I read that actually WORKS!  FYI For PC Smiley Happy Sent by user on 1/13/2017:

Re: printer not printing black 

Russ,

Checking again, the setting I changed was to change the paper setting to High Resolution Paper.

Go to your Printer Properties. In the General tab, there is a Preferences button.

Open Preferences and change Media Type to High Resolution Paper.

That is a global setting.

Alternatively, on a project by project basis, when you want to print something, ctrl P opens up the print command.

Click on the Properties button and change Media Type to High Resolution Paper.

This change to High Resolution Paper has worked for me to bypass the pigment black.

Update: BTW this only uses the SMALL BLK cartridge. So in the long run will cost more. You can also save the High Resolution paper setting as a default in the Ctl/P dialog "Properties" menu by selecting the paper type under "Media Type" to "other types" / High Resolution, then by cking the "Always use this setting" box in the lower left of the the dialog box.

Sorry to get back to such an old topic.  My Canon MX920 started doing the same thing out of the blue - will not print.  Test page prints every color except top black grid.  This solution worked for me, but it will burn through ink faster, which is already expensive.  Did Canon deliver a solution for this problem yet?

Hi, TravelGirl.

If the problem is recurring, make sure you're using Canon genuine inks for the printer.

Canon USA does not recommend the use of inks manufactured by third parties in Canon printers.

Canon genuine inks are formulated specifically for use in our ultra-precise print head. Our print head and inks work together as a precisely engineered system to support optimum image quality, print speed and reliability in higher resolution text and color printing applications.

Canon supplies and accessories can be purchased online at http://shop.usa.canon.com/, or by calling 1-800-385-2155 to speak to a Canon Direct Representative.

Should you decide to use inks manufactured by third parties in your Canon printer, and such inks cause damage to your product, this damage will not be covered under the product's limited warranty. Any repairs required as a result of such damage must be made at your expense.

If this problem is occurring even when using Canon genuine inks, then the printer may need to be replaced.

If you are located in the U.S., one option I can offer is the Canon Upgrade Program. The Canon Upgrade Program provides a one-time discount on the purchase of a replacement printer directly through Canon U.S.A., and comes with free ground shipping.

If you're interested, you may call one of our phone-based Canon Direct agents at (866) 443-8002. You will need to have the printer's serial number for this call; the serial number may be found on the back of or inside the front of the printer. Please keep in mind, you are under no obligation to take advantage of this offer immediately to gain the information.

So basically we are all screwed. This is obviously a common issue with Canon printers. Mine was working perfectly fine and all of a sudden test page will print, printer claims everything is fine, ink is flowing, but it will just within the past two weeks no longer print anything from the computer sent to it. So, not to self Canon knows its an issue and I should not bother to buy another one since they let it go and dont care to resolve the issue for anyone.

I agree. Same here. Printer was working fine. No warning. Printer is not telling me anything is wrong. Just won't print. I discovered a work around in this thread. It works, but the printer will use much more ink. Used the work around for a while, now I am getting the dreaded B200 error message! I give up!

TravelGirl
Apprentice
I’m sorry, Darius, but I have had this printer for about at least five yrs. and I have no idea why this would just start happening now. Why would every other color on the test page print fine except one color. I think it is something Canon has done to make people buy expensive Canon ink, which is really unfortunate because I really like the printer and until now, would have bought another. Shouldn’t that be enough?
click here to view the gallery
Announcements