cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

Sorry graumli, I got it a long time ago. You were instrumental in helping ME. But I asked ?s you answered and it worked and has been working. Turn off, turn on, manually, no issues. And printing wireless all day. Why would I go thru the BS Canon wants me to do now when this older printer is now working fine with your (and others) DNS change/fix. Hopefully, Canon will "fix" new printers or they will work, whatever. I'm happy for now...and STILL have instructions for this fix. Don't care about printer access to web...would hope it wouldn't actually. Want cheap, easy, printer for home use...that's all. And one that won't reject me if my ink runs low or out. This thing will print blank pages endlessly without a care. It just tells me ink is low and I ignore it UNTIL it runs out. 😉

I got it! And thx again. But still disgusted with whatever happened to cause all this and failure of my preferred Canon Pixma printer...have had 4. And where was Canon for some 5 days?

Okay, interesting. It worked, but I have some questions. When I got to the IP address, it was all zeroes? So I used my IP but changed a bit. BUT...intriguingly, thru this whole process, somehow I wrote down the IP address of my PRINTER. Now can't recall where I got it, but if I disabled web services for printer, I maybe will never find it again. Anyway, that IP was off by one number with my wireless IP! Last digits varied between 66 and 65. Might THAT be the problem? That somehow, our printers suddenly had the wrong IP address?

My printer is a Canon Maxify MB2010. This problem that you are experiencing is because of DNS. I solved my problem by turning off the Access Point (or unplugging the internet cable from the router's WAN port). The printer will turn on normally. Then go to Setup menu > Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. Configure an IP from your internal network that is not in use or another IP that is not a DNS server, as the printer will not be able to make queries. Once configured, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Wait a few moments to complete the configuration. After returning to the menu, press the 'Home' button on the printer. Turn the Access Point back on or reconnect the Internet cable and retest. For me this solution worked. As I do not use external services (Google Cloud), there is no need for my printer to consult on the Internet. Hope this helps.

droonfang
Enthusiast

I tried the other "solution" I found, from Canon. I worked through one power off and back on AFTER the procedure and it worked. Then next time I powered it off, then back on after a bit, it went back to cycling on and off again. I let them know, TWICE, that their stupid "fix" does NOT work...and to fix it...NOW! Will give MY FIX AGAIN (sorry for posting numerous times), after the link to THAT useless Canon procedure so you can read it. Not discounting the DNS stuff being posted but too complicated for me.

Here: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART109245&act=RATE&impressions=false&isCCA=tr...

MY FIX (taken from another member) Power printer off or while off unplug it. Then unplug router. Then press power button 10 times. Plug printer back in. Plug router back in. Printer should have come on. It will "index" a few times and complain, but then it will be ready. Usually, the first printing, it will do the same, but WAIT, it will print. THEN LEAVE THE THING ON, PERIOD! and it will do what you ask (did a new cartridge AND an alignment, and a firmware update). And has printed every time. Had to go back to this solution after trying Canon's lame, useless fix that doesn't work. I know leaving them on is not good, but at least it works.

saikatroy50
Apprentice

I am also having same issue. not able to print anything.

Am about to try the DNS fix thing that's been posted here, but as a fix also to allow you to print, but not the best as it requires you leave printer ON forever, or go thru procedure again is this:

MY FIX (taken from another member) Power printer off or while off while cycling, then unplug it. Then unplug router. Then press power button 10 times. Plug printer back in. Plug router back in. Printer should have come on. It will "index" a few times and complain, but then it will be ready. Usually, the first printing, it will do the same, but WAIT, it will print. THEN LEAVE THE THING ON, PERIOD! and it will do what you ask (did a new cartridge AND an alignment, and a firmware update). And has printed every time. Had to go back to this solution after trying Canon's lame, useless fix that doesn't work. I know leaving them on is not good, but at least it works.

Slynnp
Apprentice

I've been having the same problem. Today I read through these comments and tried the trouble shooting options.

I unplugged my printer pressed the power button 10x. I also unplugged my internet/router box. I plugged my printer back in first and it came on and stayed on. I then plugged my internet/router back in and with in 5 minutes of connection my printer started cycling on and off again. I pressed the ok button for the heck of it at least 5x and then left it alone for a while. When I came back the printer display screen said about a firmware update and said to press ok. So I did and since then it's been working (about 30mins now)

But have you turned printer off and then back on again? Almost guarantee it will start cycling again. It seems whatever one can do to get the thing to work for however how long (mine has been DAYS) get UNDONE if you turn it off then back on. Except for perhaps the "fix the DNS" solution that has been posted here. And if I understand THAT correctly (not sure if I do) it will disable the printer's web services connection, if that matters to you.

I got very excited about this, so I tried it a couple of times today.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the same luck.  Please update later if your computer is still working - I'll try for the 4 and 5th time.

No it didn't work for me. Try my solution...not so good, requires printer ON all the time. Or the DNS fix solution. If more reply.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements