cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

How do i do that?  ugh.  i am so sorry to bother you

No worries. If it wasn't for others who posted here my  printer would still be down too! 

Go to the SETUP MENU on the printer. In order to get the printer to stay on to access the menu you must disconnect you wifi so the printer doesn't continue to interface with it. Once the wifi is off/disconnected, turn the printer ON. It will go thru the usual cycling and stay on. Slide the menu option until you see SETUP MENU. Then follow Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. The IP/DNS number will appear. I changed the last few numbers from 001 to 101 on my printer. Once changed, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Turn on your wifi again. Your printer should automatically "find" and connect to your wifi and function normally. Hope this helps.

I finally was able to get this to work with your help! Thank you so much!

Did not work for my MX494 printer. Utility does not find my printer. I have tried various suggestions mentioned hereunder and a few of my own. Not sure where to go from here except maybe back to the "Manual" route used in the work around. (One thing is for sure Canon won't see me again for a printer.)

The only "solution" I used was to change the DNS number, haven't done the firmware update yet. But changing the DNS number had me back in biz immediately. 

Yes, that seems to be the only answer I did the DNS number, using the IP address I got from the router and that seems to be working fine so far.

Thanks! This solution worked fine with my Windows 10 PC. Instructions were easy to follow, and the process went smoothly.

I should mention that the fix went smoothly with my Windows 10 PC and MX492 printer.

I've installed the firmware update.  I reconnected the printer and all looks good.  I send a document to the printer, works fine.  Send a second document - reverts to the reboot cycle again.  This is beyond ridiculous.

I never got around to the firmware update yet. I only did the suggestion to change the DNS number of the printer. My printer has worked fine ever since. 

Announcements