cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

What date is Polls822 comment?

Tonylmiller
Contributor

I just tried my printer again. No change, it is still restarting. It would be nice if Canon would at least tell us what is going on. I am aware of the work around procedures, but I would prefer that the root cause would be fixed.

Did you do the work around posted by Polls822? This worked for me and others also. 

How does one find the post by Polls822 without scrolling thru everything? Am new here and the "functions" are a bit confusing to me.

Repost:

My printer is a Canon Maxify MB2010. This problem that you are experiencing is because of DNS. I solved my problem by turning off the Access Point (or unplugging the internet cable from the router's WAN port). The printer will turn on normally. Then go to Setup menu > Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. Configure an IP from your internal network that is not in use or another IP that is not a DNS server, as the printer will not be able to make queries. Once configured, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Wait a few moments to complete the configuration. After returning to the menu, press the 'Home' button on the printer. Turn the Access Point back on or reconnect the Internet cable and retest. For me this solution worked. As I do not use external services (Google Cloud), there is no need for my printer to consult on the Internet. Hope this helps.

Ok, I'm NOT a techie tho I've done a few things. ?1-setup menu on printer, yes? ?2 IP from internal network not in use (where find or IP not a DNS server?) ?3-Home button on the printer...don't think I have one. No cloud here either and all these "services" do NOT "serve" me except with instant, intense annoyance! Also as in 10 or more annoyance phone calls/day that one CANNOT stop! "Serving" EVIL/criminal.

Okay, the SETUP MENU is on the printer. In order to get the printer to stay on to access the menu you must disconnect you wifi so the printer doesn't continue to interface with it. Once the wifi is off/disconnected, turn the printer ON. It will go thru the usual cycling and stay on. Slide the menu option until you see SETUP MENU. Then follow Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. The IP/DNS number will appear. I changed the last few numbers from 001 to 101 on my printer. Once changed, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Turn on your wifi again. If your printer should automatically "find" and connect to your wifi and function normally. Hope this helps.

Have printed both your sets of instructions. Printer is functioning, but I have to leave it on after doing MY fix. So this does NOT affect wireless to my printer? If so, back to my method at which point I have to undo your procedure first. Not sure if I want to try it...but at least I believe I understand you...it's not a "real" IP address...but how does that not mess up wireless printing? Right, "web service setup" is the key and we're disabling web service to the printer, in effect, but not wireless printing, a function of our router and wireless network, correct? Just trying to get it.

I’ll try to explain. Once your pronter is connected to your wireless network it automatically gets an IP address, and is reachable inside you netwrok for wireless printing from other devices. 
The DNS address which you set up as a fake one is used for the printer to access the “outside world”. The DNS server translates website names to their internet address (for example “www.canon.com” needs to be translated to some IP address) With the fake DNS server IP it is unable to contact the outside world, and so the reboot doesn’t occur. It is still not clear why the reboot happens with a real DNS server address, but it is clear that this workaround works. 
hope that helps 

When you disable the wifi, the printer isn't going to use the network. Once wifi is disabled your printer stays on. Then you can go in the menu to assign a different IP/DSN ID number. Once you complete that process and connect it to the wifi, it's "registered" to your wifi router under the number you assigned. Why this works I'm not sure all I know is I used this method to get around the chronic shutting off of the printer and it worked. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements