cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX922 how to fix double printing of letters?

travisvu
Apprentice

When printing, some lines come written with double letter effect: For example, the word "bad" looks like "bbaadd". The letters are so close that are almost on top of each other. This does not happen to all of the text on the page, but to many lines.

Printer is MX922.  Print from Word doc (or any text editor) onto plain paper.

Already did all the steps in the Maintenance window (ie. cleaning, head alignment, nozzle check, etc...).  No help.

16 REPLIES 16

Still looking to see if a moderator has any other ideas. Thanks.

Alina
Apprentice
It’s anyone’s printer printing ok now after cleaning the encoder strip?

Cleaning encoder strip on Canon MX 926 made no (zero) difference to double printing of letters every fourth or fifth line!!

I've tried all possible solutions that have been suggested/recommended online.  Simply no joy. 

Doesn't print double on scanned documents though.     Jeez ... waste paper basket for Canon 926 I think

saboking
Apprentice

Hello! I had the same problem on an MG7170. Tried everything in the canon FAQ and nothing worked. I was going to throw the printer away when someone pointed me to "extreme printhead cleaning". I was told it was how the printer repair shops (not canon authorised) do it. With nothing to lose, I tried it and it totally worked! The printer now prints like new with perfect alignment on all colors including PGBK.

Here's the video illustrating the method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYuBv0wgbPk

Note: Pay attention at around 8:35. You must flush until you get a clean, smooth spray to clear all clogged particles because the clogged particles are what's causing the jets to misalign.

Another example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J61WxOduqQg

If you have a spray steamer (I don't), you can try that too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq6EN5il2AA

Good luck!!

Note1: This problem has nothing to do with the encoder strip otherwise it will misalign on all colors.

Note2: This problem mostly happens on PGBK because pigment ink unlike dye ink dries with a hard residue.

kaetterhenry
Apprentice

I also am having this problem with my Canon MG5400. Does this unit have an encoder film and if so, where do I find it?

nhan7616
Apprentice

Even after cleaning the encoder strip won't help. I think main problem is printheads. Mostly of this problem come from Ink Tank inkjet printer. Where printheads used many years and some nozzle blocked by dust and dried ink when you not usiing many months or not using genuine ink. I got exactly this, but using E560 printer with CISS (continuous ink supply system) and ONLY when I using duplex printing. That why mostly inkjet cartridge won't get this problem but Ink Tank inkjet printer, where cartridge replace everytime you run out of ink. But my E560 printer use CISS, so it like Ink Tank inkjet printer. After 1 year setup CISS in my printer, shadow text starting getting worse. I tried many solution from google, but not work. So I just brought a new black inkjet cartridge, reinstall CISS and Print Head Alignment. Then it solved. Here is 2 line text before and after (Actually it worse than before but I only have this).

z1.jpg

ahmetsacan
Apprentice

I came to this page having the same problem. Photos printed fine but text did not, so I figured I could print my documents using photo-printing option on plain paper, which worked great. I tried to find the minimal changes that can make the document printing work and it was "Borderless Printing". So, the work-around in my case was to select Borderless Printing in the printer settings and use Plain Paper as the paper source (you'll get a warning that borderless printing is not recommended for plain paper).

In my case, this was clearly a software bug/problem. This has been a very frustrating problem that I suspect started with a software update. A perfectly fine hardware was made useless. I almost thought it was introduced maliciously to force users buy a new printer.

Announcements