cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG6120 "ink absorber is almost full."

kelneka
Apprentice

I keep getting that "ink absorber is almost full" message. I contacted customer support and was redirected to a third party tech support who said I am getting that message because my network is congested and that they could fix it for $249 and that I probably should just get a new printer. Seemed like a scam. Any advice? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, kelneka!

There appears to have been some misunderstanding regarding Canon support.  All of our tehcnical support for our PIXMA printers is handled in-house with no third parties involved.  Additionally, all of our support is completely free of charge.  We do not patch into your computer, and there's no cost to talk to us.

We invite you to go right to the source and call us toll-free at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).  You'll reach a member of our award-winning USA-based technical support team at one of our contact centers in Virginia and New Mexico.  Our PIXMA printer team is ready to go weekdays from 10 AM to 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Support is also available 24/7 via email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon

Again, there is no charge for any of our support.

We look forward to talking to you!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

I agree.  Canon has decided to limit the life of it's printers without telling buyers.  This is a DIRTY TRICK with no real justification. Then you find out they have a solution to the problem but will not share it with the users. That's DIRTY TRICK #2.  Where is the Gov. when you need them?  Where are the lawyers when you need them?  What we have is BIG BUSINESS GONE BAD.

Well today my Canon MG2950 stopped printing. It is fully serviceable but seems to have reached the end of the road as it has printed the number that Canon will allow as the ink absorber is full (85%) and we have now used the remaining 15 %, it seems. This is absolutely disgraceful!

Nothing will bring it back - I have tried various suggestions online. I will never buy a Canon printer again and, for that matter, why should I ever buy any other Canon product?

I am now off to buy a new printer by choosing on the ABC method - Anything But Canon.

I am happy to recommend the same to anyone else - don't buy Canon as you are buying built in obsolescence just to improve their bottom line.

There was another incident like this one where an error message appeared in the display and the printer wouldn't print anymore. The error message said to contact my Cannon Service Center. I called Canon and the representative told me that I for the Error Mesage I got, I needed a new print head, and I would probably be better off if I bought a new printer, because the cost of a Print Head was about the same price as a new printer.  At that point, I researched the problem on line and after a bunch of searches, I found a woman that had figured out a way (or maybe once worked for CAnnon) to re-set the error message.  Gent this....(the steps may not be complete, because I'm doing this from memory) It went something like this: With the printer off, I believe I opened the printer service door like you wold to rplace ink. Then I turned the printer on and waited for the ink printer carriage to start moving to the far left. As it passes the half way point, and is on the left side, I closed the lid on the printer. I swear following this woman's instructions got rid of the error and I was able to use my printer again. That was over three year ago !!.  I must say, except for that error issue, this has by far been the best printer I ever owned. I bought it in 2011 (eight years ago) and it works great. Now though, I'm also getting this ink absorber near full message. But I can always press the OK button and keep printing. I hope I can keep doing that for a while before I get a "Totally Full" message.

Apparently Canon's printer support policy has changed. I was just informed that I must sign up for the paid support before anyone will talk to me about the message that the ink absorber is full. I don't know where it is, what is required to clean/replace it, etc. If my understanding is incorrect, someone from Canon please contact me at (removed as per forum guidelines). 

Thanks

Bill Tuel

@BillTuel

I wouldn't bother. Just go and buy another printer made by a different company!

I think the entire situation is reprehensible - I will NEVER buy another Canon printer, and will have to be persuaded with difficulty to buy any other Canon product.

Your printer is about to go belly up.  Not that the printer is bad.  It's just that Canon thinks you have had it long enough and it's time to buy a new printer.  If you replace the ink absorber, you still have to resett the ink counter.  That takes a special program that Canon does not want you to have.  Changing your printer brand may not help.  It seems that other manufacturers do the same thing.  Check carefully before buying a different brand.  Good luck.

THIS SIMPLY IS NOT TRUE. CALLING THE NUMBER SENDS YOU TO A EXTERNAL SUPPORT COMPANY - WITH A HIGH FEE.

Pixma MP 990

bgrinstein
Contributor

When you get this on a pixma mx700 (probably also on other models) you can simply override it for a while by pressing "OK". Eventually (after a looong time) the printer will give you an "error 5B00" and get completely stuck. Then you look for instructions on the web on how to do a reset. Then it works again. This worked for me:

Try this: With the power OFF on the printer,

1: press and hold the RESET (or RESUME, perhaps) button (to the right side of the printer's controls/buttons, if I have this right for your model), and at the same time, also press and hold the POWER button too.

2: after a second, release the RESET (or RESUME) button but keep holding down the POWER button...

3: while still holding the POWER button, press and release the RESET (or RESUME) button, two times.

4: Then, after a moment, release the POWER button too, and wait for about 10 seconds or longer for the printer to turn ON and initialize.

5: the printer should now show 'SERVICE MODE' on the LED screen.

6: Press the RESET (or RESUME) button four times, then press the Power button once, to confirm 'Reset Counter Absorber' as an action.

7: After which, if that's what you just got done, you press POWER again to turn OFF the printer.

8: Wait a while, then turn it On again normally, and it should now have the error cleared.

Thanks for your instructions. I tried it but I think it does not work because I have not yet actually received the 5B00 Error Code yet. I am still getting the message warning that my ink pad is almost full. I have to press the OK button on the LCD to print. When I tried your instructions, I could not get past the error code for the "almost full ink pad" ... I THINK it was a code 1700. I would have to hit the OK button then continue with the instructions. I am going to try it again when I cool down some. grrrrrrrrrr! 

I think I read that once you get the "almost full ink pad" warning that you will still have about 15% left before you get the fatal 5B00 error. I have had my printer for about 5 1/2 years. So the math tells me I have about 9.9 months left to print before the printer shuts down. I guess I will be back here then.... or sooner if I get it working to share. 

BTW.. I have a Canon MAXIFY mb2720. I converted it to use the big ink tower containers, so my ink cost is cheap.  The printer has everything you could want and is fast. Best of all, it has operated flawlessly with daily office use. BUT, if Canon does not allow me to RESET this error message, it will be my last Canon purchase!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements