cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX870 Paper Jam

RangerDave
Apprentice

PIXMA MX870 - not sure of serial number (where is it? label on the bottom doesn't call it out specifically.)

Paper size 8.5 x 11 24#

Paper jams from paper tray or from rear feed. Paper appears to be catching on something on the left side (facing printer). Rear paper twists to the right and either jams or feeds crooked.

Paper from tray won't feed through. When pulled out after the jam, it has a slight wrinkle upward on the left rear corner where it is jamming or catching that is about 1/2 inch wide.

I have checked all the areas accessible and cannot see anything out of place, nor any paper pieces caught in the feed mechanism or rollers: Bottom with tray removed, top open, and rear transport cover removed.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks,

RangerDave

1 REPLY 1

RangerDave
Apprentice

OK, so I decided I had nothing to lose, since a repair would probably cost close to the price of a new printer. I decided to haul out the screw drivers.

The only place I couldn't see easily was down in the main feed from the rear tray. So I bowed the rear tray and popped it out, which allowed me to see down inside the upper feed area. Found a push pin that had fallen off the bulletin board above the printer!!! Didn't even need the screwdriver. I dislodged it and then turned the printer upside down, and out it came. Works like a charm now.

Still a good printer, so I'm glad we didn't have to buy a new one.

Announcements