cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX 490 continuous power cycling .

jperez739
Contributor

My Canon MX490 AIO printer started to power cycle with only the Canon logo showing on the printer display. The printer will move the ink cartridges then the rollers will move and click then shut off then turn back on and start the same cycle again. This will happen while it's plugged in. Any suggestions how to fix this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi!  We've released a firmware update to take care of this issue. Learn more now by clicking HERE.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

74 REPLIES 74

I used essentially the same approach to resolve my mx492  - had to reinstall drivers on my window systems to get everything working again.......printing from my iphone and ipad worked again without having to make any changes..........and my printer is back working normally.....on wifi and so far hasn't gone nuts again.........

How do I change IP, went through the steps but only thing I didn't change was IP. .stopped cycling but an hour later cycling started again

Hmm. But if one is connected by WiFi, how does one disconnect? Do I need to turn off my counter (thus disconnecting everything else on it)?

Thanks to jperez739 and italolima for this solution / workaround. As others have pointed out, it appears to remove printer connectivity with the external internet, enabling computer to printer communication, but probably blocking any eventual firmware updates that Canon sends out once they get their s*** together.

One further editorial comment - for those unfamiliar with the subtleties of IP addresses (like me!), another user has proposed the internal IP address 192.168.001.253 - which works fine for this purpose.

Thanks to jperez739 and italolima for this solution / workaround. As  others have pointed out, it appears to remove printer connectivity with the external internet, enabling computer to printer communication, but probably blocking any eventual firmware updates that Canon sends out once they get their s*** together.

One further editorial comment - for those unfamiliar with the subtleties of IP addresses (like me!), community member marm proposed the generic internal IP address 192.168.001.253 - which works fine for this purpose.

This is not helpful to me due to the fact that i am using a wireless network....how do i fix that if the printer will not stay on

Mxphoto, I won't repeat the jperez739 / italolima solution here, but the key idea is that you 1) turn off your wireless connection (easiest to just unplug your router), 2) turn on your printer (it should stay on now that the wireless connection is turned off), 3) go through  the steps outlined by jperez739 / italolima to manually insert an "internal" IP address, and 4) turn your wireless connection back on. Your computer should find the printer through the new IP address / port and after a bit of coughing and buzzing, you should be able to print wirelessly again. But you are no longer accessible via wifi to Canon's servers, so when a real firmware fix becomes available, you'll need to revert back to normal automatic wifi connectivity to download this.

Make sense? If not, find a tech savy person to clarify the steps for you.

PLEASE REMOVE THE SOLVED CHECK, this is just a bandaid and if CANON sees PROBLEM SOLVED, they will not work in a real solution. It is been 3 days that everyone with this type of printer are struggling, and I am sure the the SOLVED check didn't help for CANON to work on fixing this problem.

PLEASE REMOVE THE SOLVED CHECK.

Agreed, but if you've checked around, you've probably noticed other strings for this topic showing "solutions" by Canon "Product Expert" Arthur J such as "phone Canon for assistance" (good luck with that!) or "you have a fatal hardware problem, buy a new printer." Not sure if those qualify as funny or embarrassing.

This is not a "solution" this is a workaround to a change Canon pushed 5/31/2022. 

A solution needs to be implemented by Canon. And if I know Canon like I think I do, their Ops and software development is excruciatingly slow to implement any fixes. More than a dozen family members have purchased Canon printers on my advice and half of them ceased working with this change. I've got egg on my face. Thanks Canon!

Announcements