cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG 7720 Issue

Giorgetto
Contributor

Hi, I have an MG 7720 which I'm trying to use with my new Dell i5 All in One desktop with Windows 11. It will not print. I Contacted Canon Service and have paid the $20 dollars twice in the last 2 months to get it connected properly. It prints for a day or two and then stops. I tried this morning and got an error message. The last time I spoke with a Canon tech rep I had them take over my computer and they got it printing but....Now it won't print again and I was told there were some issues with Canon printers and Windows 11. I'm tired of paying for support that doesn't work. Am I going to have to get another brand printer or is there some solution I'm not aware of. Please help if possible. Thank you for your time, George

2 REPLIES 2

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Giorgetto! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. I see that you have a PIXMA MG7720 and you are getting an error when you try to print.

I assume that you are trying to print wirelessly. If not, please make sure that the USB cable is connected directly to the computer (not an external hub). If the cable is connected directly to a port on the computer, please write back and let us know how long that cable is.

If the printer is connected wirelessly or if you are using an Ethernet cable to connect it to your router, please restart your router. To do that, please disconnect the router’s power cable and reconnect it. After two minutes, you can restart the printer.

Once the printer has finished turning on, please try printing. If the issue persists or if the problem comes back, I recommend that you disable the IPv6 Setting. To do this, please follow these instructions:

1. Make sure that the printer is turned on.
  2. Press the HOME button (if it is lit up). 
  3. Swipe the screen from left to right and tap on SETUP.
  4. Tap on DEVICE SETTINGS.
  5. Tap on LAN SETTINGS.
  6. Tap on OTHER SETTINGS.
  7. Scroll up by swiping from the top of the screen to the bottom and tap on TCP/IP SETTINGS.
  8. Tap on IPV6.
  9. Tap on YES.
  10. Tap on ENABLE/DISABLE IPV6.
  11. Tap on DISABLE.
  12. Look at the screen to confirm that the setting has been changed.
  13. Press the HOME button to exit the menu and return to your HOME screen.

If you are using an Ethernet cable to connect the printer to your router, I also recommend disabling the Wired LAN DRX Setting. To do that, please follow these steps:

1. Make sure that the printer is turned on.
  2. Press the HOME button (if it is lit up). 
  3. Swipe the screen from left to right and tap on SETUP.
  4. Tap on DEVICE SETTINGS.
  5. Tap on LAN SETTINGS.
  6. Tap on OTHER SETTINGS.
  7. Scroll down by swiping from the bottom of the screen to the top and tap on WIRED LAN DRX SETTING.
  8. Tap on DISABLE.
  9. Look at the screen to confirm that the setting has been changed. Leave the screen as it is for the next set of steps.
  10. Press the HOME button to exit the menu and return to your HOME screen.

When you are done, please restart the printer. Then, try printing from your computer. If the problem persists, please print out the network information for your printer. You’ll find instructions in the following article:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART167124

After you print out that information, please look for the Signal Strength on the top sheet that printed. If your printer is connected wirelessly and the signal strength is below 70 percent, I recommend moving the printer closer to the router to get a better signal. After moving the printer, please try printing.

If the signal is 70 percent or better or if you are using an Ethernet cable to connect the printer to your router, please look for the IP Address that is listed under TCP/IPv4 (in the network information page). Please be sure that you are looking for the IP Address in the Wireless LAN section if your printer is connected wirelessly. If you are using an Ethernet cable, the IP Address will be in the WIRED LAN section. The IP Address should consist of 4 numbers separated by dots.

Next, I recommend that you enter that IPv4 IP Address in the address bar of a web browser. After you type that address (numbers and dots only), please press the ENTER button on your keyboard. That address should pull up a page with your printer’s information OR a page asking for a username and password. If you are seeing that, I recommend creating a new port for the printer.

To create a new port for the printer, please do the following:

1. RIGHT-CLICK on the Windows Start icon (normally the left-most symbol on the bar at the bottom of the screen).
  2. Click on the word RUN.
  3. When the Run window opens, type the words: Control Printers
  4. Click on OK.
  5. When the Devices and Printers window opens, RIGHT-CLICK on the icon for the MG7700 series printer and select PRINTER PROPERTIES from the middle of the small menu that pops up.
  6. Open the following article and follow the instructions to create a new port:
    https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART167293

After you create a new port for the printer, please try printing. If you are still unable to print, please write back with answers to the following questions:

• How is the printer connected to your computer? (wirelessly, wired to the router with an Ethernet cable, wired to the computer with a USB cable)
  • If you are seeing an error message on your computer screen, what does it say?
  • If you see an error on the printer’s display (at the printer), what is the four-digit code at the top of the screen?

If the printer is connected wirelessly or if you are using an Ethernet cable to connect the printer to the router, please include answers to these questions:

• Were you able to print the network information?
  • When you type the IP Address (numbers and dots only) in the address bar of a web browser and press the ENTER button on your keyboard, what website opens?
  • Were you able to add a new port with the IP Address?

I hope this information helps. Thanks again.

Thank you, JayC! I won't be able to try this solution  for a week or so, Thank you kindly for your input.

Announcements