cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Install a Bubble-Jet BJ-30 on a Laptop?

DWF
Apprentice

I have a BJ-30 printer that I'm trying to connect to my laptop as I'm about to travel and need to have a printer with me.

I'm using Win7 Pro 64-bit.

The laptop doesn't have a parallel port so I purchased a USB to Parallel Adapter to enable the physical connection between the laptop & printer but the laptop still doesn't "see" the printer, however it does recognize the adapter and in Control Panel / Devices & Printers / Unspecified it "sees" it as an IEEE-1284 Controller.

When I run Control Panel / Devices & Printers / Add a Printer / Add a local printer I:

select LPT2 as the printer port as per the adapter's instructions for setting up a new printer;

select "Next"; then

select "Windows Update" to update the printer list.

The printer list includes several Bubble-Jets but they're all either BJC- series or S- series; unfortunately BJ-30 is not on the list.

I don't recall it having an installation disk, or if it did I can't find it, nor can I find one on the 'net. It's not behaving as a Plug & Play unit.

Can anyone suggest how I can get the BJ-30 operational?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Canon no longer offers drivers or support for this printer, which is at least 15 yrs old.

Windows 7 is also EOL 1-14-2020.  Your laptop will continue to function after this date, but MS will not be actively supporting this version of windows. 

You may want to consider upgrading the OS which can still be done for free.  It might even help with the current situation, but using an adapter such as this is not reliable.    

If you need  printing support, buy something more current. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Canon no longer offers drivers or support for this printer, which is at least 15 yrs old.

Windows 7 is also EOL 1-14-2020.  Your laptop will continue to function after this date, but MS will not be actively supporting this version of windows. 

You may want to consider upgrading the OS which can still be done for free.  It might even help with the current situation, but using an adapter such as this is not reliable.    

If you need  printing support, buy something more current. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick.

Yes, I'd discovered the absence of support, which doesn't surpise me given that I bought the printer 20+ years ago. I've retained it simply because it was potentially useful for the rare occasions that I travel and have need for print capability whilst travelling. I also have retained spare cartidges as I can't imagine them still being on the market.

I "upgraded" to Win 10 when it first became available and after a month of trying to come to terms with it, got so sick of it that I upgraded back to Win 7. I've been dreading the day when I'm forced to again make the switch and yes, I know that day is fast approaching.

I have a perfectly good desk printer; the occasions that I travel and have no other access to print facilities are rare and don't really justify buying another printer, hence the purchase of the adapter cable.

The good news is that I now have it working properly. I contacted the cable manufacturer and they gave me step by step instructions to enable Win 7 to see the printer. I'm still experimenting with minor settings, like print margins, but it's only minor tweaks that remain to be set.

Thanks again for the guidance.

David

Announcements