cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up wireless printing from my lide 120 to a brother hl-3170cdw

mikebravo
Apprentice

Looks like scanners are the poor relative in the community, I do not see any place to ask this question other than "General Discussion".

To expand on my subject line...there is absoutely no indication of communication between my Windows 8.1 laptop and my Brother HL-3170 CDW wi-fi printer when I attempt to print from my CanoScan LiDE 120 scanner. Documents created on the laptop go to the printer with no problem. Is there a setup screen on the 120 that I have not found? Where do I start trouble shooting his problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I have found the answer. The official answer from Cannon is 'gee, that's too bad. Call Microsoft, it is their problem'. I could not believe my ears. They had zero interest in making their product work with the most popular operating system in the world (Win7). To start at the beginning, this was the problem: My printer is a HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP. I am using the USB port. Using your software utility, I can scan to "MY Documents" and I can print anything from there. BUT, absolutely nothing happens when I try to use the scanners buttons. I bought this for my techno-phobic daughter and it is essential these buttons work. I have read all 262 pages of your manual and have not found the answer, however it may be related to page 223. I try to follow the instructions there but the options given in your manual are not available. All it shows is "no application registered for this event". Before you ask, my antivirus program is Microsoft Security Essentials. I am the only user of this computer therefore I have Administrative Privileges.  To fix it i was essentially told to pound sand. Fortunately my daughter is running Windows 8.1  Things worked somewhat better but manual page 223 left me confused. Win 8 step 4 "select an event" implies there is an 'all events' button. There is not. There are choices for copy, PDF, auto and send. The instructions are ambiguous but I selected 'copy' and let it go at that. I am tires if working with it. I know this is a cheap scanner and that you get what you pay for but surely one has the right to expect it to work as advertised.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Is Note 3 an explanation?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/scanners/photo_scanners/canoscan_lide120
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Could be j.r., I will look into it.  Thanks.

I think I have found the answer. The official answer from Cannon is 'gee, that's too bad. Call Microsoft, it is their problem'. I could not believe my ears. They had zero interest in making their product work with the most popular operating system in the world (Win7). To start at the beginning, this was the problem: My printer is a HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP. I am using the USB port. Using your software utility, I can scan to "MY Documents" and I can print anything from there. BUT, absolutely nothing happens when I try to use the scanners buttons. I bought this for my techno-phobic daughter and it is essential these buttons work. I have read all 262 pages of your manual and have not found the answer, however it may be related to page 223. I try to follow the instructions there but the options given in your manual are not available. All it shows is "no application registered for this event". Before you ask, my antivirus program is Microsoft Security Essentials. I am the only user of this computer therefore I have Administrative Privileges.  To fix it i was essentially told to pound sand. Fortunately my daughter is running Windows 8.1  Things worked somewhat better but manual page 223 left me confused. Win 8 step 4 "select an event" implies there is an 'all events' button. There is not. There are choices for copy, PDF, auto and send. The instructions are ambiguous but I selected 'copy' and let it go at that. I am tires if working with it. I know this is a cheap scanner and that you get what you pay for but surely one has the right to expect it to work as advertised.

Announcements