cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX922 Lower Paper Tray Stuck Unless Full

ShadowWings
Apprentice

The lower paper tray on my MX922 gets firmly stuck if it's empty.  I have to wrench it forcefully half a dozen times to get it back out to load more paper.  Of course, the obvious quick fix is to never let it get too low on paper, but I often print on special sizes, usually one piece at a time or it will try to feed multiple pieces at once.  I've cleaned the edges of the paper tray and the places where it slides in.  I've checked that spring thing underneath, no problems.  I've turned the whole printer upsidedown to make sure there wasn't something jamming it up, I've cleaned the rollers, even though that didn't seem like it would make any difference, and it didn't.  I'm at my wits end.  Anybody else have this problem, and did you find a reason or solution?  Thanks very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GKC
Apprentice

I found that you can release the tray as follows, using a piece of corrugated cardboard about 6 inches wide and long enough to reach to the back of the paper tray.  The long dimension is  parallel to the ribs of the cardboard.  The procedure is as follows:  (1) Remove the top paper tray.  (2) Insert the cardboard into the gap where the top tray had been.  (3) Slide the cardboard back until it pushes up on the rollers that are at the back of the tray:  this pushes the obstruction out of the way of the lower tray.  (4) The tray should now slide out easily.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi ShadowWings,

Please contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives via phone or chat. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello Patrick,

Where Can I buy Canon Part# QL2-6451-000 for MX922? I called 866-481-2569 and they don't have the part, and they gave me the part#, This is the lower paper tray feeder that's broken, and rollers don't spin because inside the arm where the gears a piece of plastic broken on the shaft section to the feeding rollers are and won't feed the paper. I also spoken to Canon customer service without any help.

Hi kjrachuy,

The Parts Department may be reached by calling 1-800-828-4040, seven days a week (excluding holidays), 8:00 a.m. to Midnight ET. They can provide you with availability and cost.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

fredalbini
Apprentice

I had the same problem . With experimentation I've found the tray was binding a little. To make it a little easier I set the printer on 2x4s (flat) just clearing the tray on each side. It worked for me.Allows you to pull down easier with thumb on tray.Hope it works for you.

I tried that didn't work. Best thing is so far is lift up tray and pull to the left while pulling tray out.Works with out all the other tricks mentioned.

GKC
Apprentice

I found that you can release the tray as follows, using a piece of corrugated cardboard about 6 inches wide and long enough to reach to the back of the paper tray.  The long dimension is  parallel to the ribs of the cardboard.  The procedure is as follows:  (1) Remove the top paper tray.  (2) Insert the cardboard into the gap where the top tray had been.  (3) Slide the cardboard back until it pushes up on the rollers that are at the back of the tray:  this pushes the obstruction out of the way of the lower tray.  (4) The tray should now slide out easily.

That worked!  In the meantime, before you posted this excellent workaround, I figured out another workaround.  I used crafting foam to build a 1/2 inch base, taped all around with packing tape, which stays in the tray all the time.  With the base in there, it no longer jams.  I can still put plenty of paper in, but when it runs out, there's no problem getting the tray open.  I made a smaller size as well for envelopes and odd sized papers that I use.  As long as there's something in there 1/2 inch high, the tray pulls out.  Thanks for this trick!  I have had a few times when I forgot to put the base back in when I took it out for a different size and then had to wrestle the tray again. 

Takes up too much paper space.I tried that didn't work. Best thing is so far is lift up tray and pull to the left while pulling tray out.Works with out all the other tricks mentioned.

fredalbini
Apprentice

Outstanding.I've been doing a previous post by lifting bottom tray a little while and pulling to left. .It works but a little of a hassle.

But I just did your trick. Happen to have scrap card board . And it works great!! How did you com across this idea?

Thanks again.

Announcements