cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MP560 unable to print test page

wscanon
Contributor

Hello,

I have a Canon MP560 that was working ok, however the print started to fade and currently isn't able to print a test page or from a PC application.

However while in Maintenance I'm able to print a nozzle check pattern and something comes out after a print head alingment.

I've tried a nomral cleaning where it prints a check pattern.

Have not tired anything elese while in maintenance.

Blank page comes out while trying to print from Windows Notepad and "Print test page"

7 REPLIES 7

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

If you continue to have difficulties after cleanings have been performed, troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

After a couple of deep cleaning the test page started to print.

I found part of the problem is the large ink cart was completley empty and the colored carts are ~1/4 or less full. However the carts were changed around the first of April and the printer has been off most of the time. IIRC only printed around dozen black and white pages.

I don't know why the carts would be empty or very low. They were brand new unopened (non Canon)  however I didn't inspect them prior to replacement.

Previously a check pattern printed but not a test page.

In the AM I printed a list of items that was partially faded and spotty, later in the day the printer would print completly blank pages after a regular cleaning.

After replacing the large empty black cart with a new one printer now seems to work ok, but I have no idea how the large black cart became empty and the colored 1/8 to 1/4 full?

Well it started again this morning, went to print one page and the paper comes out completely blank.

Performed several deep cleanings but hasn't yet made any difference in printing a test page or black text.

Black carts are full. I've tried printing with gray scale on and off. When gray scale is off a test page prints a small logo upper left coner of sheet.

With grayscale is on the page is completely blank.

However If I choose to print Nozzle Check test pattern the printer prints a good test pattern with both black and colors.

I'm not printing images or photos just plain text from notepad where the print  should be from the small ink tank?

From another forum message:

"The smaller ink tank is a dye-based ink and is used when printing photos, performing duplex (double-sided) printing, and when a paper type other than plain paper is selected (i.e., envelopes, labels, photo paper, etc.). The smaller black ink is also used when printing certain webpages and PDF files that have coding in them to use color ink, even if the grayscale or black only option is selected."

Even though it shows to be full I'll try swapping out the small ink tank to see if it makes any difference.

The color tanks replaced just over a month ago, rarely used, are now almost completely empty. Which is strange as I've printed less than a couple dozen partial pages of only black print, no pics or images have been printed since swapping out all the ink tanks a month or so ago.

I have printer set to grayscale.

Tried replacing small black cart without any results printer still produces blank test pages.

Will try replacing all the carts again to see if it makes any difference.

Currently trying to determine if it's a problem with the ink carts or the printer.

The ink carts are new but not  oem Perhaps I need to try OEM ink carts? 

I've never had problems in the past using non-oem carts.

Ok, I found the problem is the large black ink cart BGBK isn't printing.

I removed and washed out the print head but the Nozzle check produces the same result. Prints test patterns for all the carts except for the large black ink cart (PGBK).

Reading through some of the forum post this is a common problem for some owners of inkjets. Ultimately the problem is with the print head that's replaceable. However some Canon inkjet owners after replacing the print head with a new one still had the same problem with the large ink cart (some have problems with other carts also) no printing.

Some people have dismantled their inkjet cleaning them up internally, which resolved their problem of the large black (and perhaps others) not printing.

I use to home repair printers many years ago. Dot matrix, daisy wheel and Laserjet, and a remember cleaning up a few inkjets.

However sometimes the only solution is to recycle and purchase another printer.

I'll perhaps attempt to partially dismantle and clean up this inkjet. Possibly a new print head will resolve the problem?

Hi wscanon,

Genuine Canon ink cartridges often resolve issues like this.  A replacement print head could also resolve it, but I'm afraid that the PIXMA MP560 has been retired, and parts are no longer available.

If OEM ink cartridges do not fix the printing problem, you are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price, and with free FedEx Ground shipping. If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight ET. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

@BillS wrote:

Hi wscanon,

Genuine Canon ink cartridges often resolve issues like this.  A replacement print head could also resolve it, but I'm afraid that the PIXMA MP560 has been retired, and parts are no longer available.

If OEM ink cartridges do not fix the printing problem, you are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price, and with free FedEx Ground shipping. If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight ET. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

I found a refurbished print head from China for approx. $10.00. I think they have alot of left over surplus for retired printers, pcs, etc. so they put it online to  reduce surplus of certain items in their warehouses. 

The MP560 also started to have problems pushing the paper was giving a jammed paper errors when there wasn't any paper jammed. So I'll need to take it apart and clean it up. (I've been working on pcs, printers and related equipment for more than 35 years and the price of alot of it has gone down. I remember my first 8-bit pc with 64 K memory and 4MHz cpu. Back then a 5 MB hard drive was going for around $1500.00. PC were more expensive starting just under 2k to around 3k+. though they did have some really expensive beasts starting around 15k. Printers weren't all that  cheap either as they are today. but they usually lasted a long time with proper maintenance.

Anyway I found an Epson XP-820 for $20.00 at a thrift shop  in unknown condition (without any ink carts) After purchasing  a set of ink carts and  installing them I found the XP-820   works like new, has very little wear appears nearly new, not dirty, etc..  Epson calls it a Small-In-One All-in-One printer as it's not a big all in one but has most of the features of a large all-in-one, ADF, Cassette 1, Cassette 2, rear paper feed, scan bed, double side printing, etc. Has a little bit of everything perfect for small time jobs.

Weight and Dimensions (W x D x H)
Printing: 17.2" x 23.5" x 8.1"
Storage: 15.4" x 13.3" x 7.5"
Weight: 21.5 lb

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd4/cpd40988.pdf

I've owned and worked on various pc printers (thermal, dot matrix, laserjets, inkjets, etc.) since after I  owned various manual and electric typewriters. The IBM Selectric I use to own  was a good electric typewriter, I also owned and used various manual typewriters as well (Underwood, Remington, etc.)

So I'll attempt to repair the MP560 and use it as a spare or backup printer. If not someone may be able to use it for parts.

Announcements