cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG2522 printer not detected on driver installation

swager80228
Apprentice

I just purchased a Canon MG2522 printer.  I have downloaded the mp68-win-mg2500-1_02-ejs.exe and tried multiple times to install.  I repeatedly get a message that the printer is not detected.  The printer is connected and during the detection process the printer cartridges move back and forth as if the printer is responding.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi swager80228,

Windows does not have the correct drivers available for the PIXMA MG2522.  If you connect the USB cable prior to downloading and installing the drivers from the Support Page of the PIXMA MG2522, Windows will install what it thinks is correct, but the status will be "Driver Unavailable".

Reinstalling will resolve this issue. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.

2. In the Run window, please type CONTROL PANEL and click OK.

3. Click on View devices and printers (or Devices and printers, depending on your view).

4. Right click the Canon MG2500 series and left click on Remove device. Repeat until all MG25000's are removed.

5. Disconnect the USB cable.

6. Click Close to close that window.

7. In the upper left corner, click on Control Panel (or the Back button).

8. In Control Panel, click on Uninstall a program (or Programs and features, depending on your view).

9. Click once on "Canon MG2500 series MP Drivers" and then click Uninstall at the top.

10. Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall the driver. When you click Complete, the driver is uninstalled.

11. Once done, please reboot your computer.

When your computer restarts, we will reinstall:

1. Please use the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mg...

2. Click the Select button next to "MG2522/MG2525 MP Drivers Ver.1.02 (Windows)".

3. Click the Download button. The drivers will download.

4. Once the download is complete, open your downloads folder. To access this, press CTRL and J, then let both go.

5. Double click "mp68-win-mg2500-1_02-ejs.exe" to begin the installation.

6. Follow the on screen prompts to reinstall, reconnecting the USB cable when prompted by the installation.

Once the installation has completed, please attempt to print.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

normadel
Authority
Authority

There are multiple posts on this forum about similar problems installing this printer. Are all these people doing something wrong, or is this a Canon problem? Hmmm.......

swager80228
Apprentice

I obtained a laptop that was running windows 10 and was able to successfully install the driver and print. My new PC is running windows 11.  It also had MacAffee.  In uninstalled MacAffee and tried again to get the driver in stall and again got a message the the printer could not be detected and the installation failed. The Canon website states that the MG 252X is compatible with Windows 11, but clearly it is not. Canon Support is non-existent; my only option is to return the printer and look for something else, not Canon!

Windows 10 has a driver verification function, designed to prevent installation of rogue, illicit drivers that can damage a system. It has not prevented me from installing any drivers recommended for Windows 10, or even Windows 7. 

It's been the same with Windows 11. All my Canon devices work fine...printers and an "old" scanner, using Windows 7 & 10 drivers  But trying to install a film scanner (not Canon) in Win 11 with the Win 7/10 driver met with failure. Disabling Driver Verification On Startup let me install the driver, but the scanner program would not run.

You can try it with Driver Verification disabled to see if the install works. If it does, then after a reboot see if the printer program works.

I see Canon falling short in driver updates when Windows (and Linux) changes to new versions.  And they do not necessarily even INTEND to keep a printer functional as OSes change. We users see it as unplanned early obsolescence of devices we think are not "old".  Don't know how long the MG2522 has been around. It may be a victim of this.

Any brand of printer, scanner etc. can be a victim of this. Canon may be worse than others.

Danny

Hi, swager80228!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or register your Canon gear HERE to access additional support options.

Thanks and have a great day!

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi swager80228,

Windows does not have the correct drivers available for the PIXMA MG2522.  If you connect the USB cable prior to downloading and installing the drivers from the Support Page of the PIXMA MG2522, Windows will install what it thinks is correct, but the status will be "Driver Unavailable".

Reinstalling will resolve this issue. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.

2. In the Run window, please type CONTROL PANEL and click OK.

3. Click on View devices and printers (or Devices and printers, depending on your view).

4. Right click the Canon MG2500 series and left click on Remove device. Repeat until all MG25000's are removed.

5. Disconnect the USB cable.

6. Click Close to close that window.

7. In the upper left corner, click on Control Panel (or the Back button).

8. In Control Panel, click on Uninstall a program (or Programs and features, depending on your view).

9. Click once on "Canon MG2500 series MP Drivers" and then click Uninstall at the top.

10. Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall the driver. When you click Complete, the driver is uninstalled.

11. Once done, please reboot your computer.

When your computer restarts, we will reinstall:

1. Please use the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mg...

2. Click the Select button next to "MG2522/MG2525 MP Drivers Ver.1.02 (Windows)".

3. Click the Download button. The drivers will download.

4. Once the download is complete, open your downloads folder. To access this, press CTRL and J, then let both go.

5. Double click "mp68-win-mg2500-1_02-ejs.exe" to begin the installation.

6. Follow the on screen prompts to reinstall, reconnecting the USB cable when prompted by the installation.

Once the installation has completed, please attempt to print.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

jzand
Apprentice

This worked and saved me from sending this printer/scanner back to Amazon. I have Windows 10 and an HP with no CD drive. The Microsoft link software and Recommended Canon software would not finish installing - hung up on last screen. The step by step you provided above was great for the non tech minded. If you would add a couple of steps on how to get the Canon IJ scan and print utilities to show on desktop that would complete. Thanks for posting this

MacroSoftJK
Apprentice

I read the above posts. I thank whoever wrote them. Does anyone know why Windows 10 22h2 doesn't recognize the MG2522 printer hooked up to the USB? I installed the software from Cannon. It is a file called win-mg2500-1_1-ucd.exe. I tried Canada, also. (win-mg2500-1_1-mcd.exe). I checked the temp folder. They are both uncompressed files from 2015. The only shortcut on the start menu is for registration. I followed the shortcut to a folder called C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\IJEREG\MG2500 series. I use an old HP Envy tower computer. I'm thinking maybe my USB ports. They are old & have had a lot of cables connected to them over the years. I would be thankful if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you very much.

Announcements