cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get Pixma TR4720 printer to work with my MacBook Air

Twinkler73
Contributor

Just bought a new Pixma TR4720 printer from Staples.  Also purchased a NXT Technologies USB 2.0 printer cable.    ( suggested by staff at Staples ) to go along with. I downloaded the software recommended from the Canon site. The printer itself works fine when I print something out from the scanner bed, but it  won't print out anything from the laptop.  The MacBook is connected via ethernet to an Arris Surfboard modem. I then connected the printer cable from the Pixma to the Mac and tried to print something out, but nada.  I even took the printer cable and Macbook to our local Mac store, and they said that the USB printer cable SHOULD work in the Mac.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

17 REPLIES 17

Glad to hear I am not the only one having problems with this printer.....Sounds like I shouldnt bother calling Canon either.   Very sad as it is a great printer - usually!

Hi, Twinkler73!  Our support team is ready to help you and registration is required to get through to them.  Just register your printer here and then try calling again.  Our routing system will use caller ID to look you up in our database and then we can get you to the right people.  Hope to talk to you soon!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Lets see if we can get this wrapped up.  John's link points to the TR4720 and states so.  

shadowsports_0-1682276357174.png

There are not individual downloads for each version of MAC OS for this model.

This download:

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDIwMDAwNjQxOTAz&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Covers all recent versions of MAC OS according to the support portal.  This file will download and install the software needed to utilize your product. Once complete, you will be able to install additional software to enhance the product's functionality.

macOS Ventura 13
macOS Monterey 12
macOS Big Sur 11
macOS Catalina 10.15
macOS Mojave 10.14
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Additional Download:

IJ Scan Utility Lite

https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDIwMDAwNTMxNzEy&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

IJ Scan Utility Lite is the application software which enables you to scan photos and documents using AirPrint. You can easily scan such items simply by clicking the icon you want to choose in the main screen of IJ Scan Utility Lite.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi, thanks for giving it a try!  I have downloaded this Master setup 3x now, but I tried your link anyway to see if it was any different from the Canon site download.  Same results:  the installation says that the Mac and the printer are connected, but when I get to the Test Print page, it just doesn't do anything. The scanner works fine, but it just won't print anything from the Mac.

If you go to System Settings or System Preferences (depending on your OS) and select Printers & Scanners do you see your printer?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Yes, it is set as the default printer.

Hi Twinkler73,

Please click on the Apple in the upper left corner.  In the menu that appears, click on About This Mac.

What version of OSX is installed on your Mac?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, I have High Sierra 10.13.6 which it says right on the printer box that it supports this version.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements