cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

tomward
Apprentice

The printer went wrong. Took it in to a pc shop. The power cable had gone. New cable. Plug in turn on and pow! UO52 message. Cant do anything. Turn of and on many times. Take out ink many times. Clean interior of wet ink several times. Is there an answer or is Canon products CRAP!!  Anyone?

barbara70
Apprentice

My MP600 gave me good service until a few weeks ago when it started to only print text in colour, ignoring any black text. I have changed both black cartridges to no avail. Today the printer stopped working altogether and came up with the UO52 wrong printhead message. What now? It did allow me, after I had switched it off and on again to print an align printhead sheet but now only the error message will show. Is it the end for this printer? I was fond of it. I have 17 new ink carteidges in the drawer, silly of me to have had so many inreserve.

CharLee725
Apprentice

Canon thinks that the people who buy it's printers are idiots.  Put a defect in the software that causes the printer to become unuseable so that consumers will have to buy a new printer every 15-24 months or so no matter how much you use the printer, the type of ink you use, etc.  I have an MG5520.  Worked beautifully.  Then out of nowhere it just stops.  Says that the printhead that has been the right one is now the wrong one.  How does that happen?  Does my printer have some kind of autoimmune infection?  Didn't know that could happen to inanimate objects.  But it appears Canon thinks we don't know that.  I have always thought Cannon was a very trustworthy brand.  I bought my printer because it was a Canon.  I live in Hilo Hawaii and we have Sears, Target and Walmart to choose from as places to go for computers and accessories.  Most we can't order online because they have lithium batteries and if we can order them online shipping is so outrageous it is not worth it.  So all we have to go on is brand to rely on at these kind of stores.  Big mistake thinking Canon was a good one.  I have done some research and it looks like i will be replacing my useless Cannon with a Brother.  Thanks for nothing Cannon except for wasting my time and money.  

shaval123
Enthusiast
I hope not. That was what I got to replace my Pixma 5520 before I knew better. One printer with cursed U052 was enough. If my 5520 does that now i will toss it through Canon's window!

Magnorium
Apprentice

I registered specifically to say that I am having the same issue with my MG 53200. For no reason whatsoever, it threw up the U052 error, and nothing I do fixes it. I have reseated the ink, the printhead, unplugged the printer, everything you're supposed to do, and nothing. Never buying a Canon again.

garyfrazer
Apprentice

I did contact Canon Support a month ago and have been ignored.

dr_brad
Apprentice

My MP970 just developed the U052 error yesterday. The current crop of Canon printers no longer allow me to print directly to CDs so I am desperately looking for a solution. This printer has worked wonderfully since 1 Nov 2008 when I bought it. Almost exactly 8 years to the day it has no clagged out despite having performed admirably well just minutes before.

ru
Apprentice

i had the same problem printing fine then refuse to print mg6450

Brokengirl1488
Apprentice
I too am having this problem. What do we do if the print head error appears?

lisa5
Apprentice

I have just received this error on my MP960 that has been working fine for years. Tried to print today and this error came up. Followed the suggested steps of removing the ink cartridges and printhead and then replacing them. Didn't fix it. By reading the responses here, I don't expect to be able to fix it. Hoping in the meantime I am still able to at least use the scanner for work. Would love to get Canon to provide a solution here.

Announcements