cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

I just got the same U052 Erro messge on my MG5220 Canon Printer. This really sucks

It is time for class action everyone has problem please contact attorney 

i have an MP980 and ive had the problem twice now costing me $50 the first time for a technician to blow the inside out with air and turn it on but i dont want to have to pay $50 for a guy to use 10 seconds worth of air and to fit a power plug to repair it as im a permanently disabled man who hasnt worked since 7/11/2006 and i cant afford to buy a brand new one 😞

Canon MX922 has same problem, not on this list but just happened with mine, even replaced the ink cartridges, extra cost of course and still nothing - ridiculous!

The MX700 landed in the recycle skip with a satisfying crash. I now live in a Canon-free zone.

You do know that the settlement was already approved by the Court, yes?

Add PIXMA MG5522 to the list

i am wondering why it just happened- it was printing fine and then got the error and now can not use the printer in any way at all

I have the MP830. I got in on the class action lawsuit and they offered others in the lawsiut a whole $50.00. I was denied the settlement stating that my printer was not on the list but here I sit looking at the printer showing wrong printhead. Dont know how that works. I found a used MP830 and changed out the circuit board and it has been working good so far. Has to be a firmware problem canon has installed to get customers to replace the printers. When I do replace the printer you can bet your sweet petuty it will not be a canon

March 18, 2017 - still has this issue. Printer and all its parts worked fine, then during the middle of a print job, got the U052 incorrect print head message. Tried the tips but they did not work. Parts are good, it's the software that is failing. Probably an easy fix but why Canon won't  fix it is puzzling. If they think i will just go buy another Canon printer, they are sorely mistaken.

Announcements