cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto retract output tray TS8220

jhansman
Apprentice

Hello all. Couldn't find the anwser anywhere online, so:  I've set this option up in the printer, but I'm not clear on how it works. Once the print job has completed, the tray stays extended (as I would expect), but when would it automatically retract? I ask because the printer is in a drawer in my desk that cannot be closed when the tray is extended. It would be handy to have it out of the way if not needed until the next job.Thanks for any info you all can lend on this question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi jhansman,

You can set the printer to have the paper output tray close when you power off the printer .When ON is selected, the confirmation screen asking if you retract the paper output tray automatically appears after pressing the ON button to turn off the printer.

If you don't want to turn the printer off and manually turn it back on, you can just gently push the paper output tray back in the printer and close the operation panel. When you want to print again, make sure the operation panel is open and press print or copy. The output tray will automatically come back out for you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi jhansman,

You can set the printer to have the paper output tray close when you power off the printer .When ON is selected, the confirmation screen asking if you retract the paper output tray automatically appears after pressing the ON button to turn off the printer.

If you don't want to turn the printer off and manually turn it back on, you can just gently push the paper output tray back in the printer and close the operation panel. When you want to print again, make sure the operation panel is open and press print or copy. The output tray will automatically come back out for you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Great, many thanks for the prompt reply. I suspected that this was the case, i.e., the tray would retract on powering down, but I wanted to hear from an experience user. I'm missing my MG5220 already, whose tray I needed only flip back up to allow the drawer holding the printer to be closed. I have to say, while the operation of the TS8220 is very nice, the design leave something to be desired. Having to push the tray back in UNDER the paper supply tray is, at best, awkward. Were the printer positioned at eye level or thereabouts, no problem. In my case, it's a pain. First world problem, to be sure, but there it is. Again, thanks.

On my similar TS8250 printer (same TS8200 generation), after a print if I hit the power button on the flipped up operation panel it prompts me if i want to retract the paper tray.  I say yes, it retracts the paper tray and turns off - but for some reason the operation panel stays up.  I have to push close the operation panel manually, which seems odd given it opened automatically.

Is yours the same?

Yes, it is. The panel is completely manual in its positioning, and since my TS8220 is in a desk drawer, I have to make sure the panel is down enough so the drawer will close. Not a big deal, and I don't mind that the panel requires manual positioning, but I do have to make sure it's not all the way up when I close the drawer. Generally, I don't turn the printer off after a job, as I want to be sure it will wake up when I send one. So far this has not been an issue. New printers always take some getting used to, especially after having the one before it for so many years.

TinaH
Apprentice

I have tried on two different occasions today for over an hour to to get my printed to go to the screen where I can copy, or print etc. After I placed paper in the tray I keep getting the message " the paper output tray is retracted. Check the following and select. I tap OK  tells me processing and J get the same message. I have taken the trays out and put them back in at least six times or more. This is the TS8020 printer 2 years old. It worked last week.

gegjr
Contributor
I cannot get the paper tray to automatically retract no matter what I do. The printer TS8220 turns off but tray will not retract. What am I doing wrong? I set it so many times I am having dreams.

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello,

Canon does have a chat team that would be happy to assist you with this issue. Please click HERE and in the chat box, ask to speak to a live person.  You will be asked to create a Canon account and once that is done, you will be able to connect with one of our chat agents Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm ET, excluding holidays.

gegjr
Contributor
Thank you. I already have a Canon account with all my equipment registered I use it to also order supplies. Will that account do?

gegjr
Contributor
So, I signed into my account but I don't see a chat box.
Announcements