cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canonusa
Administrator
Administrator

EOS-Webcam-Tips-MAC-notool (1).png

Have you had a chance to use our EOS Webcam Utility Mac software?

We’d love to know what you think of it! Once you’ve had some experience with it, share your feedback below to get tips and tricks from our support team.

*Verified comments posted below this article will be given a "kudos" from the official Canon U.S.A. account and added to our the tips & tricks list below.*

original_monitor-image_03.png

*Image depicts available livestream viewing options*

Canon Tips: Using EOS Webcam Utility Mac Software

• When using EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 software with macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and macOS 10.15 (Catalina) the following desktop applications will not list or permit EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 software to function on your device. Use Web-based client in Google Chrome instead of a desktop application: 
    • Safari (Use Google Chrome)
    • FaceTime
    • WebEx
    • Discord
    • Slack*

*Limitation applies when using EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 Software with macOS 10.13(High Sierra) and macOS 10.14(Mojave) and 10.15(Catalina)

• EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 software does not support apps downloaded from the App Store. Please download the application from the service provider’s website where available.

• The camera can only operate with one application on your computer at a time. If the video conferencing or streaming application you are trying to use cannot receive the video feed from your camera, close all other applications on your computer that may be connected to the camera.

• When using EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 software with video conferencing or streaming applications, we cannot guarantee that it will be compatible with your device and/or the software applications you are using. If you experience any issues, we suggest using a web-based client version of the service or trying a different video conferencing or streaming application.

FIND THE RIGHT WEBCAM STARTER KIT

products-v2.png

Whether connecting with colleagues, academic peers, or family and friends, find the right webcam starter kit that works for you.

button-shop-now.png

231 Comments
Kevin Wright
Not applicable

I'm trying to use the M50 as a webcam, which I have successfully done using Zoom.  However, my company utilizes Ring Central (which is powered by Zoom) almost exclusively.  I've been unsuccessful in getting Ring Central to recognize the M50 as a webcam.  Is there a workaround or alternate solution to this?

Daniel LENAIN
Not applicable

Hi there,

I'm very happy to get the final release of the EOS Webcam Utility for mac.

I've donwloaded both version for Windows (a couple of days ago) and the Mac version (today) and I found a subtle difference between those 2 versions.

I'm using OBS for live streaming and recording my screen.  In OBS (latest version on both plateform) I've seen that on the Mac version, my EOS M50 is able to  diffuse 1280x720 @30fps, whereas on Windows, this same EOS M50 is stuck at 1024x576 @30fps.

The camera is plugged into a USB3 port on both machine.

Is there any way to get 1280x720 instead of 1024x576 on Windows side ?

Thanks canon for making this massive piece of software.

Daniel

Sebastian Hewelt
Not applicable

Just downloaded on mac Catalina and it doesnt work for me 😞

* macbook pro 2020 with Catalina 10.15.7
* Canon m50
* Tried on OBS/Zoom/Meet Google
* Restared after installation several times
* Choosing source as EOS Webcam Utility
* Tried reinstalling

I see a black splash screen with the usb cable. Heard it might be some connection issue, though I use micro usb cable connected via the original dongle to my computer.

Help appreciated!

bradrlaw
Apprentice

It would be helopful if you could provide an interface for the utility similar to the regular EOS utility so you can change camera settings like ISO / aperature.  Or allow the EOS utility to talk to the device while the webcam function is in use.

Daniel LENAIN
Not applicable

Hi Sébastian Hewet,

Did you uninstalled the "Beta" version from your Macbook before installing the final version ?

On my mac mini 2018 with Catalina 10.15.7, this worked for me but I previouly uninstalled the beta version from my computer.

@+
Daniel

rmyers
Contributor

Lastest update to Catalina is installed.  i uninstalled the beta version and rebooted, then installed the new version and rebooted.  With the beta it was very unpredictable as to whether it would work (always worked on my other computer with Mojave).  With the new version, it worked immediately with my 5d mark IV...the first time.  Couldn't get it to show video after that.  Tried my R5 and no dice with it either.  Multiple reboots and cable swaps and no joy.  

Any ideas for me to try now?

Oh yeah, 2019 16" Mbook Pro is the computer.

Edit - Problem solved.  Apparently any app you have that checks for cards or cameras can cause an issue.  On my computer both Dropbox and Google Backup and Sync are set to ignore cameras and cards, but by stopping the Google app, suddenly I can connect with the Webcam utility consistently and also tether in Lightoom with the R5.  I narrowed in on that because everything worked fine on my work computer that uses Google File Stream instead.   Also, now the EOS Utility will see the camera now too.

Edit #2 - The previous edit solution is the fastest to engage the camera.  The other option I found was to go into System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Privacy tab and scroll down to Files and Folders.  For Dropbox and Google Backup and Sync, disable Removable Drives.  I found that this works, but instead of the camera immediately engaging and showing video, it takes 5-10 seconds sometimes.  So be a little patient with this method.  The updside is that you can leave Google Backup and Sync running.

Hope that helps others out.

Arturo Quezada
Not applicable

Just installed on my Mac with Mojave and Canon 6D.  It did NOT work. 

NANO
Not applicable

Im using Macbook Pro 2014 with Canon T5i and Canon T6 through Streamyard.com and Im getting black bars in both sides of the image, with both cameras (before with the Webcam Utility 0.90 Beta, I got fullscreen with the T6 and black bars with the T5i) please I really need help finding a solution for this! (I have the same troubles with a windows computer)

Images showing the problem:

https://d.pr/i/HrrPy6

https://d.pr/i/kALaUm

Mathieu Moquin
Not applicable

EOS utility with Canon 80D and Teams no longer works.

I've tried installing the latest version of EOS Utility, as soon as the camera tries to activate, it completely crashes Microsoft Teams. 

It worked perfectly since the first official release (been using it since Beta, where there was some hiccups)  but today I can no longer make the camera work in Teams (works in Meet and elsewhere though)

Seb Dugas
Not applicable

Any idea on when it will be available fir Big Sur for the 80D ?

I see Big Sur 11.0 in the dropdown list but it says "There is no sotftware for the OS you selected"

Michael Maher
Not applicable

I have been trying to install the Webcam utility for two days on two different cameras and cannot get either Zoom or Cisco Web Ex to recognize the camera.  I have tried on my EOS R and my 7D mkii. (I down loaded seperate versions.  I'm using a 2015 MBP 15 with Catalina.  I have turned off anything that uses the camera, tried different cables, including Canon cables, nothing seems to work.

Where is the Webcam utility supposed to be in the hard drive?  I find it listed but the only thing there is the uninstaller.

I have used Chrome and not safari and I have used both the app and the browser for Zoom.  I have changed settings in the camera also.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Michael Maher
Not applicable

To clarify my email above, the Zoom software does not see the Utility at all.  Only the computers facetime camera.

Thanks.

JayBao
Not applicable

I have downloaded the app and installed it without any problem.

However, after I open ZOOM, I can not find the camera listed in the video settings.

The only camera I can choose is "FaceTime Camera".

In Facetime app, I cannot find the eos camera listed anywhere as well.

I am using:

macOS Catalina

EOS R6

Anybody can help me with this?

Thanks

Jay

screenshot

mia mccoy
Not applicable

Hello, so i have downloaded the windows  webcam utility software for my rebel t6 and when I try to intall it, a box says " can be run only from a bootstrapper" ..what does this mean and will it work at all for my camera?

Michael Maher
Not applicable

I finally got the Utility to work with my 7D mk11 and Zoom.(see above for original post)  I had to download the latest version of Zoom 5.4.2 and then reboot, connect the camera and start Zoom.

Took some time but the picture is so much better!

Melvin Waki
Not applicable

Downloaded the webcam utility software on my iMac running Catalina version 10.15.7.  Using a EOS 80D.  Followed the directions on connecting the 80D.  Opened Zoom.  The 80D worked like a charm.  Autofocusing a little slow but image quality much improved

Dennis M 415
Not applicable

I have the new version working well for video and Zoom and Skype, but the sound does not seem to access  up the sound from the camera's mic..  Picture looks great.

I;m Using a G7XIII.

Mac Majove. Chrome browser /zoom ...desktop MacPro

Daniel LENAIN
Not applicable

Hi Canon dev' team

I've donwloaded this final release of EOS Webcam Utility since the 12th of november.

I'm facing a issue which is really curious.  Last week (and this week-end too), I've used this final release with the Microsoft Teams' desktop app, with no issue.  My webcam (EOS M50) was perfectly recognized.

This morning (monday 16 november 2020)... impossible to get this working correctly.  The camera is not recognized at all on the desktop app.

I can certify that this was working correctly last thursday, friday and even Saturday 14 november. My Daughter had a Teams Visio with her dance teacher and this worked perfectly !!!

How is it possible that the webcam stopped working from one day to the other ???

How is it possible that a 'beta' version had worked without any issue for months... and the final version is not in the Teams desktop app ??

I'm using this EOS Webcam Utility since the very beginning with the beta version, and my M50 had ALWAYS been recognized into the desktop Teams app on my mac (Calatlina 10.15.7).

Please, Canon, drop an anwser or an update to the software... this thing is so coool !

The final version works absolutely fine in the other app (Zoom, Skype, OBS, etc..)

Daniel

Pete21
Not applicable

Has anyone had luck with Skype for Business and the EOS R?

I've successfully used the EOS R on Zoom and FaceTime, but Skype for Business doesn't show an image, just the title box saying EOS Webcam Utility with a USB cable and an X over it. And it's backwards.

Using a 2018 Macbook Pro on Catalina 10.15.7. Connected via USB-C.

Thanks.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

KevinWright.jpg

Greetings, Kevin Wright

We're glad to hear that you're able to use your EOS M50 as a webcam with the Zoom service. Unfortunately, we have not tested Ring Central at this time but I have submitted your feedback. There is currently no workaround or alternate solution for having an untested app or service work with the EOS Webcam Utility. You may click on the following link to view a list of apps and services that have been tested to work with the EOS Webcam Utility: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

DanielLenain.jpg

Greetings, Daniel Lenain

Since there isn't an executable file to run and open the EOS Webcam Utility, it would not be possible to change the resolution of the video signal received from the camera through the USB cable but we have submitted your feedback for consideration.

Thank you

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

SebastianHewelt.jpg

Greetings, Sebastian Hewelt

I'm sorry to hear that you're unable to get the EOS Webcam Utility to work with your MacBook Pro. Per your description, you have performed some of the troubleshooting steps that we would have recommended.

In case the wireless feature on the camera is enabled, we would recommend to disable the wireless feature on the EOS M50 camera when connecting the camera to your computer through the USB cable. If possible, let's have you test a different USB cable and a different USB port.

If you do need further assistance with the EOS Webcam Utility, please reach out to our phone support team. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

BradRLaw.jpg

Greetings, bradrlaw

Thank you for providing us with your feedback for improving the EOS Webcam Utility and we have submitted your feedback for consideration.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

RMyers.jpg

Greetings, rmyers

I'm sorry to hear that the official release of the EOS Webcam Utility is not working on your MacBook Pro. If possible, let's uninstall it and reinstall it one more time. Let's also make sure that the wireless feature on the camera is disabled prior to connecting it to your computer through the USB cable.

If you are still experiencing issues, then I would recommend to reach out to our phone support team. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

MathieuMoquin.jpg

Greetings, Mathieu Moquin

We would recommend to uninstall the EOS Webcam Utility BETA if you have installed the new official release of the EOS Webcam Utility. If you still have the BETA version installed, please uninstall this version as well as the official release. Then, please reboot your computer and re-install the official release of the EOS Webcam Utility. I would suggest to reboot your computer one more time after it's been installed and prior to connecting your EOS 80D to your computer.

If MS Teams continues to crash, then let's try removing and re-installing MS Teams to see if it will work with the EOS Webcam Utility. If you are still experiencing issues, then I would recommend to reach out to our phone support team. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

SebDugas.jpg

Greetings, Seb Dugas

Mac OS 11.0 Big Sur is a new release from Apple and unfortunately we do not have a date of when the EOS Webcam Utility will be available for this new operating system. In the meantime, I have submitted your feedback for consideration.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

MichaelMaher.jpg

Greetings, Michael Maher

I'm sorry to hear that you're still unable to use the EOS Webcam Utility. Per your description, you have performed many of the troubleshooting steps that we would have recommended, like trying to install it a couple of different times, testing different cables as well as testing multiple cameras with it.

There isn't an executable file to run the application, the EOS Webcam Utility does run in the background on your computer. In case you were using the BETA version prior to the official release, then we would recommend to uninstall the BETA version of EOS Webcam Utility prior to installing the official release.

I would recommend to make sure the wireless feature is disabled on the EOS R and to remove the wireless adapter card if it's installed on the EOS 7D Mark II prior to connecting either camera to your computer. Please note only one camera can be used at any given time with the EOS Webcam Utility.

If you are still experiencing issues, then I would recommend to reach out to our phone support team. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET.

Lukas Fütterer
Not applicable

I have trouble connecting my EOS 60D (Firmware 1.1.0) to my MacBook Pro 13“ 2020 (macOS Catalona V 10.15.7) with a USB-A/Mini-USB (Typ B5) cable.

Any ideas how to solve this?

I can select EOS Webcam Utility in some video conferencing programs but I never get a signal from my EOS 60D. When connected via USB-cable I don't get an image on the camera's screen. And when hitting the record-button, I get an "busy" error message.

Thanks for your help

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

LukasFutterer.jpg

Greetings, Lukas Fütterer

With the EOS 60D, let's make sure that the camera is set to the movie recording mode. I would also suggesto to flip the LCD screen outwards.

Then, after connecting the camera to your computer, let's make sure that the EOS Utility app is not running in the background. If the EOS Utility is running in the background, then it will interfere with the EOS Webcam Utility. After closing the EOS Utility app, let's open your video conferencing software to see if you are now able to select the EOS Webcam Utility option and if it produces an image from the EOS 60D.

In case there is still no image, then let's check the camera. If there's a memory card inside the camera, let's remove it and test the connection again. If there's no memory card, then let's insert a memory card and test the connection to see if you're able to see a live image with the EOS Webcam Utility.

If possible, let's test a different USB cable and test a different USB port on your MacBook Pro. If you are still experiencing issues, then I would recommend to reach out to our Technical Support Team at 1-800-652-2666, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

DanielLenain.jpg

Greetings, Daniel LENAIN

We have recently found that the EOS Webam Utility will crash with latest version of the MS Teams desktop client when the EOS Webcam Utility is set as the source for using a Canon camera. We're currently looking into this and in the meantime we recommend to use the web browser version of MS Teams.

Leonardo Rabello
Not applicable

Congratulations on the software. Very good.
I use mac catalina and installed and works well in OBS Studio. 
However, after 15 to 20 minutes, the camera disconnects unexpectedly and connects again.
It happens fast. It does not last 2 seconds.
I have already uninstalled and installed it again and it keeps happening.
Not only in OBS, but in others as well. Some help? Thanks.

Blueberry_Lover
Enthusiast

Thanks Canon!

Official version of EOS Webcam utility works well with my EOS RP and Zoom on a Mac running Mojave (10.14.6).

Couldn't get it to work with the Skype web interface using the Chrome browser. Also, couldn't get it to work with QuickTime movie recording. In both cases, I see the splash screen (showing camera disconnected from USB even though it is connected) but no video.

Blueberry_Lover

Lukas Fütterer
Not applicable

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Canon-EOS-Webcam-Utility/NEW-Canon-USA-EOS-Webcam-Utility-Mac-Off...

Thanks JacobT - It seems like we're making small steps into the right direction. Now I can access EOS Webcam Utility in Google Chrome with Zoom, MS Teams, Jitsi.... BUT, all programs don't offer the second camera in their desktop clients / apps for the MacBook. 

What do I have to do to use EOS Webcam Utility with my EOS 60D also with the installed Zoom / Teams clients? Thanks a lot in advance. 

Tezm1177
Not applicable

(FIXED) No live feed try this I have a 760D/T6s. Set everything up as instructed by Canon, then simply push the button for taking pics and hopefully you'll get a live feed.

danaaultman
Not applicable

I am trying to load the Webcam 1.1 software on a Win 10 computer running V1909.  The zipped software downloads fine, the installation seems to go swimmingly well, but it leaves nothing that I can actually run.  If I look at the folder that the installer uses, I see seven (&) files there, but none of them is the actual executable app.  Very strange.  Has anyone run into this problem?  I did have the beta version loaded, so I uninstalled that, reset the computer before installing V1.1.

Would love to figure out what's wrong because I really want to try that with my PowerShot SX70 HS camera.

timmcleod
Established Member

I upgraded to MacOS Big Sur last week and the Webcam Utility stopped working for me. The EOS Utility remote shooting tools work as expected, but the Webcam Utility never seems to detect the camera. I don't see the option to choose either of my Canon cameras in any of the video conferencing apps I use daily since the upgrade to Big Sur. I didn't expect the utility to stop working. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling the utilities, no dice. Really disappointing. Looking forward to an update.

DiOliver
Spectator

yep, I'm struggling too - downloaded the app today - no joy. I have a G7 mkiii and MacBookAir running Catalina. The camera function in zoom sees the webcam utility but I get the black screen of death with the cable - in reverse. I've tried using chrome and tried tricking zoom to only open in the browser - only difference was black screen of death wasn't in reverse.

I've also ensured that I quite the image transfer utility etc.

Also - if I use the USB input for the webcam - how do I run the camera on mains power so it doesn't cut out after the battery chucks it - I teach online classes which are 90 minutes and bought a USB C to USB C cable and plug in order to run the camera on mains as unlike the mkii there is no little trap door to run a 'power battery' cable.

AND.... I can't open the battery compartment when the camera is on a tripod. Ho hum. And yes, I am very new to this so any help is absolutely mahoosively appreciated! 

athirocks
Contributor

I got it set up and running with my MacBook Pro 2017 on Big Sur. I used the dmg-installer, made sure that the EOS utility doesn't autostart on USB-connect and have my M50 set to video.

Screenshot at Nov 24 21-01-14.png

timmcleod
Established Member

Thanks for posting the hints @athirocks.

I tried those steps, no luck. Followed the PDF guide, also no luck. Is there a better place to post things like this?

When my EOS R6 is connected, I get this when trying to open the EOS Utility (see screenshot). 

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 4.41.41 PM.png

egarcia05
Spectator

I have two solutions for everyone struggling! This might be everyone's problem.

1. I downloaded EOS utility along with Webcam beta.

2. Most likely the key fix: You need a high speed micro usb cable. A regular micro usb cable won't do it.

I would love if this comment could be posted at the top of this page. I think it solves all our problems.

timmcleod
Established Member

This is the cable I purchased to use with my R6 that isn't working.

2.JPG

Alesia
Not applicable

Thanks Canon, 

I've been using my Canon 6D for 4 years already. Now it perfectly turned into webcam as well. The quality is terrific! 
However, I can use it only with Zoom. Hangouts and Skype have no my camera in options. Any tips? 
I've tried everything. Currently on macOS Big Sur, version 11.01

VictorF
Not applicable

I just got my EOS Rebel LS1 to work on Zoom with the Webcam Utility. 

Important note: It only works with the SD card removed.

Sieg
Not applicable

Just adding my request for MacOS Big Sur. I love my Canon 60D webcam. Such superior quality. Really looking forward to having it back.

SmilingCats
Not applicable

This's a Win 10 user.

I followed every step shown in the video strictly, and it's successfully been installed.

But it would only show a black screen or a blank screen if I select Canon Webcam Utility on the Zoom platform. 

When I connected my EOS R5 to the computer, the camera's screen would produce random flashes then showed a computer icon with a loading bar.

Strangely, I tried to install Webcam Utility on my Surface Pro 4, and it worked perfectly. No black screen, I could see the Canon Webcam Utility icon even without the camera's connection.

• Reinstallation didn't work. I always reboot after I complete the installation. 
  • I don't have EOS Utility installed on my PC, neither my laptop has.
  • I did try to install EOS Utility, but my Webcam Utility still appeared to be a blank screen.
  • I am pretty sure that my cable is not the problem since it worked on my laptop.

How should I make the Webcam Utility, at least, appear if I select it via Zoom?

SmilingCats
Not applicable

Sorry, didn't recognize that this is a Mac thread.

Please ignore my previous post.

PennyS
Not applicable

I have downloaded the EOS webcam utility driver on my 2013 Macbook pro, running Catalina 10.15.5.  When I hook up my camera (Rebel T5), and try to use Zoom, they camera does not show up.  I have tried two different zoom accounts, tried unplugging and plugging in to different USB ports on the computer; still nothing.  I can verify that the cable works, as lightroom recognizes the camera when it is attached.

I did notice that after installation, there doesn't seem to be a visible EOS webcam utility application that I can locate on the computer.  The only thing in the folder is the uninstaller for the program.

Please help!  I want to be able to use my DSLR for better quality video on Zoom.

Thanks!

Fas
Not applicable

Very unfortunate, it is a company the size of Canon, and it does not keep up with the new updates, I have a MacBook Pro and the BIG Sur 11.0.1 update and I have a Canon camera and I cannot use it in the live broadcast because you did not download an update that runs those who have the BIG Sur 11.0 update. 1 very unfortunate thing

timmcleod
Established Member

If anyone at Canon is listening, could you please consider open sourcing your webcam utility so that others may contribute if you do not have the resources to make it happen? 

JohnHonchariw
Spectator

I was recently using my T7 on my MacPro Intel i7. It was working in both Hangouts and Zoom. It was awesome. 

I just upgraded to the new MacPro M1 today and Hangouts no longer recognizes the T7, but Zoom does. When I am in Hangouts, it does not list EOS as an option for the camera.  

Is this a known issue with Big Sur? 

Are there workarounds like using another browser, etc.? 

Thanks!