cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update R5 firmware

mking17
Apprentice

Hi,

My R5 does not recognized the firmware saved on the as card. Continue to get an error message stating “memory card containing software is required to update”. Any tips on how I can get this firmware installed? 

thanks!!!

14 REPLIES 14

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Mike(?)
Two questions.  The file you are using is definitely called EOSR5150.FIR?
What card are you using to transfer the file from your download device to the camera?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Good morning. Thank you your quick response. I wasn’t using the file ending in FIR. With your help I added the file to a cf card and firmware is updated. Thank you again.

T:

Having same issue.  Canon site gave me a file named eosr5-v150-mac.dmg (using macbook) and I placed it on the SD card's root since I saw no stipulation about which to use.  I did two downloads....one directly to the SD card and when that did not work on the camera, I downloaded to macbook and then to the SD card, same outcome.  Advice?

DMG file extension
A DMG file is a mountable disk image used to distribute software to the macOS operating system. The file is typically downloaded from the Internet by a Mac user, then double-clicked to install an application on the computer.  So, having downloaded it to your iMac, you need to execute the file ON THE COMPUTER and it will create the .FIR file I referred to.  You then copy THAT file to your SD card and it should be recognized by the camera.
Usually you get an instruction file as a PDF on how to execute this - did you not see such a document?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Excellent!  Thank you!  The pdf (standard Canon firmware instructions) and the .fir file were not readily apparent in the download folder, I was only finding the .dmg.  All good now. 

Hi, my dmg file will not open to reveal the .FIR file

Hello asillett,

Once the eosr5-v150-mac.dmg files has been downloaded there are a couple of ways to open it. One is to double click on the file and once your Mac extracts the folder it will show you the PDF folder and .FIR file.

The other option would be to bring up the .dmg file in your Finder and use either the List or Column view. When you click on the .dmg file Finder will show the contents of the file either to the right of the folder or below it.

Thanks

Hi, I downloaded the eosr5-v150-mac-dmg file to my mac, but I cant get it open to show the .FIR file,  I click on it in list view and it does nothing.  Any ideas?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite
First:  You have not specified if you are using a Mac or Windows computer:

For a Windows Computer:

You will download a self-extracting .ZIP file to your computer that must then be opened in the computer. This produces a folder with a file called EOSR5150.FIR.  You copy THAT to your SD card (making sure there are no other such files there) and then update the firmware through the camera's menu system as indicated in the manual.

On A MAC

A DMG file is a mountable disk image used to distribute software to the macOS operating system. The file is typically downloaded from the Internet by a Mac user, then double-clicked to install an application on the computer.  So, having downloaded it to your iMac, you need to execute the file ON THE COMPUTER and it will create the .FIR file I referred to.  You then copy THAT file to your SD card and it should be recognized by the camera.The other option would be to bring up the .dmg file in your Finder and use either the List or Column view. When you click on the .dmg file Finder will show the contents of the file either to the right of the folder or below it.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements