cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 Firmware v1.2.0 bug.

Pippers
Contributor

I have found a bug in the R7 firmware v1.2.0

With manual lenses that have no communication, the IBIS Image Stabilization is not working as expected. It is not using the correct "Focal Length" value that is inputed. IBIS is enabled, but it is ignoring the value that is set when turning the camera on. You can temporally fix this turning IS OFF, and then focusing with half press, then turning IS back ON. The R7 IBIS then behaves normally with the correct "Focal Length" value. When the camera is turned off, or goes to sleep it breaks again. This behaviour is best witnessed by using the 10x zoom through the viewfinder. You will see the effect of IBIS with IS ON as-is with incorrect value interpreted (Slight shake correction), with IS OFF (No shake correction), and finally with IS ON with correct value interpreted(Fantastic shake correction).

38 REPLIES 38

Do you have another lens you could try that isn't as wide? I am wondering if the default it uses is around 8mm. I previously thought it was hard set to 50mm but people with 50mm said IBIS is not working for that, either.

Hi Pipers, unfortunately I don’t have other manual lenses. I did the following test: with my 8mm lens on the r7 I put in “50mm” as the focal length for ibis and then I noticed that the ibis is working “too hard” : it overcompensated the movement of my 8mm lens. And then after on/off this overcompensation was gone. I think this test says that you are right about the focal length. I guess I’m lucky to have only a manual 8mm then. Hopefully canon is going to look into this very urgently! Kind regards.

How about modes and other settings? Are you in Manual mode? Any other different settings that you may be using that might be relevant? 

With the 8mm lens on the camera and “8mm” put in as focal length for ibis,  ibis works fine in every mode. Maybe someone with a 50mm lens should be asked to try the different modes.

Hi, I did some more tests and what I found out was that after taking a picture, ibis is disabled. So as a summery (with my falcon 8mm manual lens)

1. camera on/off ibis = ok

2. sleep/ wake up ibis = ok

3. After taking a picture : NO IBIS !!

very frustrating!

@Herman54 wrote:

Hi, I did some more tests and what I found out was that after taking a picture, ibis is disabled. So as a summery (with my falcon 8mm manual lens)

1. camera on/off ibis = ok

2. sleep/ wake up ibis = ok

3. After taking a picture : NO IBIS !!

very frustrating!

Does your lens communicate with the camera?  If the camera wakes up and does [not] see an attached lens, then what do you suggest the camera should do?  How can it tell whether or not you have switched lenses?

Have you tried registering the camera configuration as a Custom Shooting Mode?  I do not know if the relevant settings are saved when you register the camera settings.  Try it and tell us what happens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The problem is IBIS with a lens that has no electronics. IBIS forgets the focal length that was entered in the camera menu. The focal length is necessary for IBIS to work correctly.

A similar problem occurred with one version of EOS R5 firmware. I contacted CPS and put two raw files on my web serve demonstrating the problem and it was fixed in a later firmware version. The only lens I have with no electronics is 50mm and that is the default for EOS R5, so I did not see the problem with that lens. I saw the problem when using EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +2x III because IBIS would forget that the focal length was 800mm instead of 400mm when it went to sleep and woke again. For me with EOS R5 and that lens before the firmware update, I could restore correct behavior by power cycling the camera.

If it were code I had written, I would suspect that a data structure is not being reinitialized upon wake from sleep.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Herman54
Contributor

Hi, does someone know the way to give feedback to canon about the ibis problem after firmware 1.4?

I think someone posted a link earlier in this thread.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements