cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 Firmware v1.2.0 bug.

Pippers
Contributor

I have found a bug in the R7 firmware v1.2.0

With manual lenses that have no communication, the IBIS Image Stabilization is not working as expected. It is not using the correct "Focal Length" value that is inputed. IBIS is enabled, but it is ignoring the value that is set when turning the camera on. You can temporally fix this turning IS OFF, and then focusing with half press, then turning IS back ON. The R7 IBIS then behaves normally with the correct "Focal Length" value. When the camera is turned off, or goes to sleep it breaks again. This behaviour is best witnessed by using the 10x zoom through the viewfinder. You will see the effect of IBIS with IS ON as-is with incorrect value interpreted (Slight shake correction), with IS OFF (No shake correction), and finally with IS ON with correct value interpreted(Fantastic shake correction).

38 REPLIES 38

@SteveN_SHIJ wrote:

I guess you may not have read what we wrote carefully, or you may have too much respect for the Canon brand so cannot see something. Please see the attached youtube link first: 

https://youtu.be/9YSMNahAb-E?si=1V4InP4U96ZZN6V7&t=194

What you mentioned is exactly how Panasonic, another mirrorless camera brand, supports manual lens ibis. Every time when the lumix camera turns on and no contact connection is detected (a contactless lens is inserted/no lens is connected), the camera will ask whether to use the current saved focal length or manually enter another focal length. The eos rf cameras has no prompts when they turn on. 

——————————————————————

“  This bug of the r7 is equivalent to the fact that it cannot save the focal length data at all and requires you to re-enter it every time you turn on the camera.

I read exactly what you have written.  

You said that if the user forgets to change the focal length and the ibis fails then it will be regarded as a mistake for you?

Negative.  I made no mention about IBIS, and neither did you.  There is no need to respond.  I dropped out of this thread once before.  This time I’m gone for good.  Have a nice day.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The issue is not whether the R7 saves the lens information or not as you have shown. It's that there is a bug that no matter what you put in there, it acts as if its 50mm until you disable it, and re-enable it. For example, I have a 25mm lens. I change that setting to 25mm. It saves it. I can turn my R7 on and off a million times, and it will still show 25mm. But will the IBIS work correctly? No. Internally it is working for 50mm, which is to say it will overcompensate the IBIS that is active incorrectly. If you map the zoom-in function this is really obvious. If I disable the IBIS and re-enable it and focus then it will work properly with the 25mm lens because the firmware is now properly compensating for the 25mm. This is the workaround until it's fixed. It is an incredibly frustrating bug.

It is an internal bug that needs to be fixed. 

I really wish I had a way to record the internal viewfinder, because this would be so easy to explain in a video.

Have you spoken with support about this? If not, please call them at 800-652-2666. 

Yes, and previously posted. I opened a ticket with support. This was the response:

Thank you for your feedback. I will be glad to pass along your comments to our management team for review.

Please keep in mind that decisions about firmware updates are made by our engineers and product designers in Japan, based on a number of factors. Consumer demand, technological limitations, and customer feedback are some of the factors that we consider.

We are always looking to improve the camera equipment we offer, so we are grateful for your feedback. While we aren't able to implement every suggestion, we do take them into consideration.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you for contacting Canon, and I hope you have a good week.

That looks like you submitted a feedback suggestion via the website. Have you spoken with technical support and actually done troubleshooting. Your situation is fairly in-depth, and I'd recommend speaking with someone one-on-one, rather than trying to explain it to them online. 

I agree with everything else said. But the camera doesn't go back to 50mm. I own a 50 1.2 and it has the same problem.

SteveN_SHIJ
Contributor

12.8.2023 Update: Seems canon finally fixed this bug in firmware 1.4.0. What a wonderful day!

Update 12.14.2023: Tested the 25/33mm 0.95 lens outdoors and concluded that firmware 1.4.0 did not fix ibis support for manual lenses. Previously it was purely that my test subject was too close and that when ibis was working correctly it couldn't correct too much jitter to distinguish it from when it wasn't working properly.

Tested with 25mm manual lens and firmware 1.4.0 did *not* fix the issue. Same steps to enable IBIS are repeatable. It does not remain enabled after a power off/power on or when it goes to sleep. Same as before.

Herman54
Contributor

Hi, tested R7 with Falcon 8mm (completely manual lens) after firmware update 1.4.0. This is the result: As well as after off/on button as after sleep/wake-up the R7 ibis works fine. To test this I used magnification glass and info button to get a really small fragment of the image and so to see the least trembling disappear.

Announcements