Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 New Firmware Release - v1.7.0 - Feedback Thread

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

FW v1.7.0 for the R6 has dropped.  I started this thread for people to leave their experiences and feedback.

Firmware Version 1.7.0 incorporates the following fixes:
1. Fixes an issue that, in rare instances, may result in the camera not operating normally when capturing small subjects.
2. Fixes minor issues.

Canon Support for EOS R6 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

To be clear, this is not a platform to bash Canon.  Your feedback should include your hardware set up, lenses being used, type of adapter is applicable, FW version, and any details that might help identify the steps to reproduce or source of the issue.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

6 REPLIES 6

deadesq
Contributor

Problems installing this 1.7 on both my R5 and my R6, each with their respective versions of 1.7.0.  I transfer the firmware to the root directory of the card, put it in P mode, select the screen that tells me to update, and the camera appears to shut off.  Both with the R5 and R6, and with different batteries, and different cards.  When I tried it through EOS Utility, it crashed the app on my Mac.  I have to remove the battery to get the camera to turn back on. Not a particularly happy camper this morning....

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

We assume you've gone through the firmware update process before? You need to run the .DMG and put the .FIR file in the root directory of the card.  

I'd start over. Download a fresh copy of the firmware file. Format the card in the camera. Copy the .fir file to the root and then try the upgrade process again.  

I've spoken with two users who have the R5 and R6 who have updated to v1.7 successfully.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I've done lots of firmware updates on other Canon products--I've installed Magic Lantern on a few, so I am comfortable that I'm doing it right.  I've tried it through the iPhone app, too, with the same result.  I tried smaller cards, different cards, I tried through the USB and EOS Utility.  All the same problem.  It just shuts down the camera (on both the R5 and R6), even with a fully-charged Canon brand battery.  It also crashed the EOS Utility.  The fact that it does it all three methods (card reader, EOS Utility and iOS app) leads me to believe there's some other issue here.  

Okay, I am the idiot here.  On all three methods, I had been looking through the camera's viewfinder to go through the menu prompts.  When I got to the prompt that told me to upgrade the firmware, I selected that, and that is when the camera appeared to go dead--nothing in the viewfinder at all, and none of the buttons were responsive.  What it apparently did instead is swap out the next prompt to the touchscreen, which I almost never use, and I have turned in towards the camera at all times.  Once I opened that, it showed me the option to upgrade the firmware, and I was able to complete it.  Hopefully, my stupidity will save someone an hour or two of frustration.  

Blackscarlet
Contributor

Was excited , loaded up the firmware with no problem. went to work that evening , same problem with r6 freezing issues. nothing seems different from before to be honest. What I have noticed is after I sent camera to be looked at it still froze but this time with no error message. once I did a firmware update the error code 70 came back

Peter
Authority
Authority

My R6 froze once last month when I just had bought it. I used an old LP-E6 battery at that time also. Some days later I updated firmware from 1.6.0 to 1.7.0.

Haven't had any issues since then, but mostly been using white "LP-E6N" from Jupio or original LP-E6NH.

Announcements